Trigger wheel offset

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pavel5

Trigger wheel offset

Post by pavel5 »

Gentlemen: How exactly do you measure how far off the correct position your trigger wheel is? I'm about to start reprogramming (really have no idea how to determine the optimum values for my engine but that's another question)
In the Operation guide global setting window (4.3) it seems to expect me to know how far off the trigger wheel is and to enter that value... or when I start up the engine, will the MJLJ system magically measure how far off the wheel setting is for me?

This seems like a silly question to me but I'll ask for forgiveness later...

Pavel with the old Willys Jeep

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Basically you start the engine without the mjlj connected, so in limp home mode respectively. Then by using a timing light measure the timing off the timing marks on the engine. It should be at 10 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Centre) if its not then you just need to correct the trigger offset when MJLJ is ooperational so it is.

This will then ensure that what ever value you put in the table then you will get the exact value of timing.

You should be able to spot the trigger wheel to within approx 5 degrees with a keen eye, then you can just program the error out with the software.

Hope this helps ;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

Thank you Nitropixie - that's clear and pretty obvious now that you have explained it to me!

Cheers

Pavel :oops:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Glad i can help ;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

Final follow up... measured the timing last night (finally found my ancient Sun Timing gun) - it was about 11 - 12 degrees before top dead center. So I'll plug in -2 degrees in the trigger offset window - hope that is correct.

Once again thanks for the help

Pavel in Canada