Lotus Esprit Turbo

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

910esprit

Lotus Esprit Turbo

Post by 910esprit »

I thought that now i have everything running i would post some pictures, as i found this section invaluable when designing the VRS bracket and the attachment for the trigger wheel.

I have left the original system in place while i testing so that a swap back is very easy to do on the road side...

One of the down sides of the Lotus is the distributer sits underneath the twin side draught carbs, so any fuel leak is an instant fire risk. MJLT is the obvious choice
MJLT located in the electrical bay
Aluminium Ring welded to crank pulley then machined to fit trigger wheel which is bolted to the ring.
Installation of the VR sensor caused a bit of head scratching but i got there in the end
Coil pack location also shown is boost control valve that is also controlled by MJLT giving programmable boost
Image :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello!

FYI- I posted your pictures on Facebook - I hope you don't mine me sharing :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autosport ... 4953614230

How is the esprit running?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Oh yeah, give us the gossip on who the system has made your espirit run, improved performance/economy? Are you usint the option switch to change diffent ammounts of boost on the fly??
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

910esprit

Post by 910esprit »

No problem at all with the sharing of photos, however if had known you could have used these,:0)

They were taken on a photo shoot last year for Classic car magazine..

I have full confidence with MJLT now and the origional ignition system has now been completely removed.
The MJLT is being used to the full, I am using two maps, one for Super unleaded fuel and one for normal unleaded fuel, both are quite conservative as i was suffering from detonation problems, which is why i chose MJLT in the first instance.
That said i have increased the torque figure from 210 Lb ft to 264 lbft 500 rpm lower in the rev range.
I am fully using the outputs, one illuminates a light for Map identification, one supplies and engine start button and once the engine registers 500 rpm it depowers the start button so that it can,t re engage the starter with the engine running.
One is used for the boost control, this works by energising a ford Amal valve (for high Boost) that bleeds away boost from the wstet gate thus keeping it shut and allowing boost to build, when the preprogrammed MAP is detected the amal valve is de energised and the waste gate opens and stops the boost climbing. Low boost/ standard boost is controlled by the waste gate alone.
This means that if there is a failure of the electronics it defaults to low boost. The down side of this that the opening and closing of the amal valve is quite slow and the increase and decrease of boost in a see-saw effect which can be felt at full power in top gear.
The upside is there is not any waste gate creep (gradual opening of the waste gate as boost builds) and a large increase in mid range torque.
You can see from the video that this translates to blistering 5 gear 70-90 times, this was taken when i was suffering from a slight mis fire due to a broken condutor in the VRS Cable

I am very happy with the way the car runs with MJLT it is very smooth and revs far more enthusiastically than before, however i am still jetted too rich, and so the economy is not that good.
There are a number of Esprit owners around the world using MJLT now. Thank you Brent :D
I plan on a bit more development in the future and possibly MJLT 2 , but a new member to the family has taken the esprit off the road for a while, No no, not a baby, an Elise :P

lanzecki

Post by lanzecki »

Nice pictures. Although it show's what a pro can do :( Makes my photo's look like they were taken by a 5 year old.

That's a great install with some very smart thinking. How did you wire the starter switch to turn off when the engine was running? I'd be interested in that.

910esprit

Post by 910esprit »

The starter switch is quite simple, i have an output that goes through a push button swtich (starter Button readily available off e-bay) when this is pressed it energises a relay that shorts across the back of the standard ignition switch.
The output is programmed so that it is on and turns off at an RPM value, i have set this at 500 rpm.
so pressing the button energises the relay which shorts the starter curcuit on the back of the switch, thus spinning the engine, as soon as the engine starts and spins upto and over 500 rpm the output turns off thus de-enrgising the relay and removing the short across the switch.
You can feel the benefit because as soon as the engine starts the starter disengages far quicker than my normal reactions on the key.
All the time the engine is running pressing the starter has no effect.
i have left the key enabled as a back up so you can still start on the key, also you need to use the key to disable the streering lock and turn on the ignition circuit.