Build it yourself kit? Wheres it gone?

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tomf

Build it yourself kit? Wheres it gone?

Post by Tomf »

Well i was just about to order another build it yourself megajolt unit, but it seems to have vanished?

Can anyone help to as to where i can find the build yourself kit?

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Well thats put a spanner in the works as it means it is no longer cheap to convert to magajolt. I will have to re-think things.

If there is by anychance and old build yourself kits left over please let me know.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi TomF,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Parts changes have directed us down this road, and with newer tech being employed (fine pitched components) it makes 'diy solder' kits impractical.

Also, the march towards powerful 32bit processors (now being as cheap as 8 bit micros) moves us further in this direction, as they are only available in fine pitch configurations.

Since you're in the UK, please consider purchasing from our UK distributor, Trigger Wheels- http://www.trigger-wheels.com. On top of the excellent service, you'll realize *significant* savings on shipping- and *much* faster transit times- compared to shipping from the states.

Overall we feel the Megajolt system is cost effective alternative to commercial systems such as the Electromotive XDI, which ranges from $800 to $1000.

Thank you; You're also welcome to contact us at [email protected] for additional questions.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Tomf wrote:Well thats put a spanner in the works as it means it is no longer cheap to convert to magajolt. I will have to re-think things.

If there is by anychance and old build yourself kits left over please let me know.
I don't think $161.95 (USD) is very expensive for a fully assembled unit. It's been the most inexpensive part of my car for quite some time :lol: .

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Well considering the build yourself kits were under $90 it is a fair bit more money, when im not getting anything different.

I know its fully built but for 30 mins worth of soldering im paying an extra $70...

Jawa2112

Post by Jawa2112 »

For what its worth i agree with Tom.

I will admit my skillset is above average in regards to soldering "i work with fine pitch and ultrafinepitch every day"

However I enjoyed the DIY aspect of Megajolt, including the assemby, and i imagine there is probably a number of people who enjoy that challenge and reward of a successful assembly.

Nathan

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Tomf wrote:Well considering the build yourself kits were under $90 it is a fair bit more money, when im not getting anything different.

I know its fully built but for 30 mins worth of soldering im paying an extra $70...
You may not be getting anything different in function, but you're getting upgraded components, new board, reliable solders (to eliminate the 'I'm not getting 5v where I should' questions), new case, and a generally improved product. Not to mention the new hardware will probably be expanded into a few other goodies that would have been a bit awkward for the old stuff (disco'd anyway).

I agree with the DIY mindset, but splitting hairs over $70 on a product that provides such a valuable service for a fraction of the cost of any of the other options, is kinda shooting yourself in the foot ;).

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Whilst as a techie I too mourn the loss of DIY kits you can only use reduced cost as an "excuse" to have some fun soldering, it's not actually a robust justification. If you actually do the maths and factor in shipping, duty, VAT, customs handling fee (you're not guaranteed to get stung but in theory all megajolt shipments should be charged all the above as the value will exceed the £18 UK customs de-minimis limit) then the cost of the kit works out very similar to a ready-to-go unit from us. What's more if you place a value on your time then you'll be well over the cost of a built unit. That said many people they just want to get intimate with every bit of their project and take great satisfaction from being able to say that they built their own ECU, it is them that I feel for most by the loss of the DIY kits.

If there had been any possible way to continue producing kits they would still be available. The fact of the matter is that the chip companies no longer make the processor in the through-hole version that DIY kits require. Without that DIY is impossible. Regrettably this is a trend across the industry - the chip companies don't make chips for us, they make chips for people buying 100s of thousands of them and in a competitive market people care about the cost reductions offered by a surface mount component.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

toenee

Post by toenee »

Besides the fact that the chips aren't available, the above is not exactly true. I got Two yes 2 diy, kits for 141 quid including shipping and tax. Ok I watched the exchange rates before ordering but.............

Incidentally the first kit I soldered together worked perfect, so needn't have ordered 2 but I've got a full spares set now. Including the now discontinued chip, at the time I was considering all options. But I do think I'd have gone Megasquirt, if the Megajolt DIY option wasn't available.

BRUCEROE

Upgrades

Post by BRUCEROE »

Well since the units are now upgraded and up priced, maybe the software bugs in the logging and other programs ought to get fixed now. I listed a handful earlier this year. Bruce Roe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce:

Thank you for your patience on the bug fixes- and I want to acknowledge that you put considerable work into the analysis of the issues- thank you for that as well. These fixes are indeed on the short list!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter