knob in car

What would you like to see? Post your suggestions here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ivanhoew

knob in car

Post by ivanhoew »

really sorry if this has been covered , but has anyone ever created a situation where ,while using a mjlt v3 ,you have a rotary knob on the dash that will advance and retard ignition from its setting on the map ?

thanks
robert .

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Maybe for adjusting overall timing correction on the fly.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

dr.occa wrote:Maybe for adjusting overall timing correction on the fly.

exactly, dr .occa.

my turbo mini a series engine is all iron ,and i find it hard to detect detonation on the rd , in fact , i was at a rr shootout a while ago ,and a turbo mini melted no4 piston with me standing about 10 ft from it ,and i still didnt hear anything .

the facility to edge the timing up ,and watch the mixture and feeling of the engine ,and also my knock lite ,would be a good thing to have .

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool idea.

You could do this today using the AUX input and have the ignition correction sub-map bump the map up and down as needed.

see the 'operation guide' on how this might work.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

brentp wrote:Cool idea.

You could do this today using the AUX input and have the ignition correction sub-map bump the map up and down as needed.

Hey that's perfect. I'll have to implement this as well. Thanks for the direction brent. There ya go ivanhoew.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

brentp wrote:Cool idea.

would this be feasable on the v3 brent ? i was thinking of a varying resistance pot that would move the spark back and forward, a bit like the msd boost retard knob , but as you know ,my electronics knowledge is neglegable . :D

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

If you go to POWERED BY MJLJ GALLERY, to KOHLER 20 HP ODD FIRE TWIN 13 May 2010, you can see a picture of such a knob. Also a PHOTOBUCKET link to more pictures. It drives the AUX input. Bruce Roe

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Sounds like you need to train your ears Ivanhoew, lol. I have seen a rolling road where they got a set of ear duffs and had a plastic tube running to the engine block to hear predetonition. Its quite easy to make your own set of knock sensors (using MK1 ears) and given a bit of experience to hear the right sounds you dont need a lot of expensive gear, just experience.

There is no reason why you can't use a knob(potentiometer) to adjust the advance of a megajolt unit. Just make sure you set it up correctly on the Aux input screen of the megajolt software
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

NITROPIXIE wrote:Sounds like you need to train your ears Ivanhoew, lol. I have seen a rolling road where they got a set of ear duffs and had a plastic tube running to the engine block to hear predetonition. Its quite easy to make your own set of knock sensors (using MK1 ears) and given a bit of experience to hear the right sounds you dont need a lot of expensive gear, just experience.

There is no reason why you can't use a knob(potentiometer) to adjust the advance of a megajolt unit. Just make sure you set it up correctly on the Aux input screen of the megajolt software
how would i do this on a v3 mjlt NITROPIXIE? oh , car is in this month mini world dyno shoot out .one of the blue ones :D .

regards
robert

ahh , just read the manual for v4 , i assume one uses the temperature correction example , but run the pot on the wires that would normally go to the temp sensor ,then program in a middle resistence for zero change ,then more resistance makes a change advancing ,and less resistance makes it retard ,all programmable in the aux input doofah ?

so this looks fine ,but ,not applicable to v3 ?
so ill have to upgrade ? :cry:

ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

'''This technique works with the V3 as well, as it too supports the option switch. I think you're confusing the AUX input feature...

With regards to using the AUX input for correcting ignition advance, V3 will have similar capabilities very soon.''

oh HO ! after reading the above post from another topic ,maybe i dont need to update ..