Fuse values for coilpack, EDIS and MegaJolt

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pavel5

Fuse values for coilpack, EDIS and MegaJolt

Post by pavel5 »

I installed fused power supplies for the coilpack, EDIS unit and the MJLJ but do not know what size fuses to use. At the moment I have inline fuses from the battery of 30 amps and 5 amps for the Ford components respectively and only 1 amp for the MJLJ. Am I way off base? Everything works well so far.

Thanks from the happy neophyte...

Pavel

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

OK, I found a thread on this topic back on Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm. As I understand it, you measure the current flow with the system running and then use a fuse of a higher value. Sounds simple.

It would be interesting to see what fuses Ford used for these circuits. Does anyone know?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can certainly measure current, and you will see that current consumption goes up as a function of RPM.

At max RPM you typically won't current consumption beyond 10A on a single coil pack (such as on the EDIS-4 configuration), so a 15A fuse is a good choice for this application.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

Thank you Brent:

Ours is an EDIS-6 coilpack but I'll just flip in a 15 amp fuse as you recommend and see what happens.

Cheers

Pavel