Seven - step 1; step 2; step 3; step 4; step 5 ... finished!

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

luxseven

Seven - step 1; step 2; step 3; step 4; step 5 ... finished!

Post by luxseven »

Hi community,

Step 1 (January 30th, 2011)

A short presentation: my name is Jos and I'm living in Luxembourg.
I discovered this board while searching for additional information in order to convert my Westfield SEi to distributorless ignition. For now, the EDIS, trigger wheel, VR-sensor and coilpack are installed. Before testing wether the car runs in home limp mode, I wanted to warm up the engine with the old ignition... but the car refused to start. Apparently sensing a major change in its life :lol: With the battery almost dead, it started two-legged, than on three pots and finally on four. It never was a good starter anyway. Than I switched to the EDIS and managed to start first go. This is mainly due to the very good manuals and the lot of informations available on the internet, and especially here. After putting in new spark plugs, it now starts better than ever.
A.s.a.p. I will install the Megajolt unit and redo the wiring to make it look nice. The distributor will remain in the car until I have tested everything, then I plan to throw it out for good. I will post as work progresses. This may take some time as my garage is not where I live and very cold...
Before I close I will try to upload some pics and thank you all for the build stories, hints, does & don'ts and everything one needs to succeed.
Cheers.
Jos

Step 2 (February 7th, 2011)

Although I expected finishing everything this weekend, I didn't. It was very cold and I wanted to do the wiring state of the art, soldering every connection and protecting it with heatshrink and braided sleeves. I found a nice place for the Megajolt unit underneath the dashboard offering easy access for the cabling to join the stuff already installed under the hood. Five (5) remaining connections to do before connecting the laptop, hopefully next weekend with the help of my eldest son.
Cheers.
Jos

Step 3 (February 18th, 2011)

Good wiring takes a lot of time, as I had to find out. Every wire soldered and shrink wrapped, plus finding the best way to route and attach. But it's finished now and the map is loaded. Starting the engine goes real easy now and it revs a lot quicker. I even can set idle a lot lower. Thought about a way to know if its the megajolt or the EDIS working, but didn't find a way to avoid buying a strobe light. So now it lays here (Hella 41.-€) and I will next connect it and flash the marks. More pics of the cabling then, still thinking about that bracket to move to the engine... but with snow in the streets and no roof, I have time for some more engineering.
Cheers.
Jos

Step 4 (February 21, 2011)

Found a map for my X-flow called 'aggressive', only changed cranking advance from 12 to 5. Strobelight shows that Megajolt masters the EDIS. I'll leave the VR-sensor bracket where it is, a test drive was concluent. The engine minimally moves and the sensor is almost in line with the momentum axis. The TPS bracket showed some trouble and I had to fix it differently to avoid too much friction with the throttle axis. Now the engine revs beautifully, starts easier, powerband is smoother a.s.o. Todo: connecting the rev counter, wiring the fuel pump to run as of cranking, adding an RJ11 socket to the dashboard...
Cheers.
Jos

Step 5 (February 26th, 2011)

Today I connected the tach out to my Stack ST700 without any problem. Although I haven't tested a lot, I threw the dizzy out as well. My fear that this would be tricky because of the manifold proved to be unnecessary. The hole is covered by a nice aluminium plug from QED Motorsport. Weather still too bad for an extensive test drive. To do a.s.a.p. Pics of final installation added!
Attachments
chassis brace came in handy
chassis brace came in handy
VRsensor_bracket.JPG (18.02 KiB) Viewed 11333 times
TPS ready for connection
TPS ready for connection
TPSbracket.JPG (22.31 KiB) Viewed 11333 times
new home for EDIS and coilpack
new home for EDIS and coilpack
edis_coilpack.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 11333 times
Last edited by luxseven on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

molecular bob

Post by molecular bob »

In you last picture it looks like the VR sensor is chassis mounted. This will give you problems as the engine will move relative to the sensor, dropping the signal . You need to get it solidly mounted on the engine.
In the lab or in the car

luxseven

Post by luxseven »

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on this during testing. In home limp mode and static 'in workshop situ', the engine doesn't seem to move as it is mounted on very hard blocks, but during a real run on the road, this may be different. If this alters the VR-signal, I will have to find another way to mount the sensor.
Cheers.

Jos
If all else fails, consult the manual.
My blog: http://jacob-jos.blogspot.com/

luxseven

Final result!

Post by luxseven »

Pics of wired installation.
Cheers.
Jos
Attachments
Megajolt behind battery tray inside the car... this gives nice short wiring.
Megajolt behind battery tray inside the car... this gives nice short wiring.
wiringdescr.JPG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
Runs smoothly...
Runs smoothly...
Stack_wired.JPG (29.18 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
The proof: works upside down as well :-)
The proof: works upside down as well :-)
megajolt_unit.JPG (25.01 KiB) Viewed 11051 times

luxseven

Goodbye dizzy!

Post by luxseven »

Dizzy no more... 8)
Cheers.
Jos
Attachments
Lumenition cable clips give a nice touch.
Lumenition cable clips give a nice touch.
ignition_cables.JPG (44.76 KiB) Viewed 11049 times
Goodbye dizzy, I won't miss you :-)
Goodbye dizzy, I won't miss you :-)
dizzynomore.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 11049 times

luxseven

Fuel economy

Post by luxseven »

Hi @ all,

After a few hundred kilometers, I'd like to report that although my X-flow powered Westfield SEI runs perceptibly better, fuel consumption is lower. Acceleration and 80-120km/h performance has noticeably improved. On 98 octane I might save around 5% compared to the previous dizzy-setup. Which is a lot if your car has a 28 liter cell. This testifies that ignition and thus combustion is of higher quality and intensity. I staid with a standard spark-gap of 0.8mm and will leave the system as is, until upgraditis strikes again.
Cheers.

Jos