Changing from TPS to MAP for boosted application

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Craigorypeck

Changing from TPS to MAP for boosted application

Post by Craigorypeck »

I now have a blower on my megajolted engine, currently running tps, considering changing to MAP for obvious reasons. can the map model handle boost?? how much?
sorry if this has been covered before, search is throwing up sooooo many threads..
thanks in advance

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Gosh, running a supercharger on a cosworth engine, that is a pretty unusual installation. Looks really good though.

You definitely need to change over to the MAP system, you can do that with the TPS ECU using an external MAP sensor and connect that up to the TPS pins. Since both TPS and MAP sensors give a 0-5V output it all works fine, just remember to change the configurator to match your new setup.

With an external sensor you have a choice of sensors to match your desired boost range. We stock 2 and 3 bar sensors so those have loads of headroom but the reality is that your supercharger isn't going to deliver so much boost that you need to worry too much about sensor range.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Trying something different, its an mild NA engine so a little boost will give a decent result.

You have the external MAP for sale?? Is it just a case of disconnecting the TPS wires inside the MJ main board and feeding the new wires from MAP in to its place?? I had considered swapping the unit for a MAP one, maybe putting up a swap thread might find someone looking for a TPS unit. what boost will a standard supplied MAP sensor handle?

Cheers!

cng1

Post by cng1 »

The built-in sensor on the MAP-version ECUs is good for around 1.4-1.5bar boost.

We've got the external ones for sale yes, through our web site (under sensors and connectors) and yes you simply plug them into the same wires the TPS used.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Cheers thanks, will make my way over to TW..

BTW how will the ignition map work then? will the upper half of the ignition table be a vacumm (-) and the lower half boosted (+).. never played with ignition timing on a blown engine before. any pointers for a novice would be greatly appreciated.

ETA- my vac signal is very shaky at idle, the gauge needle bounces around will this be an issue for the sensor?
Should I install some sort of reservoir to even out the reading?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

BTW how will the ignition map work then? will the upper half of the ignition table be a vacumm (-) and the lower half boosted (+)..
That's the sort of idea yes.
ETA- my vac signal is very shaky at idle, the gauge needle bounces around will this be an issue for the sensor?
Should I install some sort of reservoir to even out the reading?
A mini-moto fuel filter works well, as does a mig welding tip inserted into the line as a restrictor.
www.trigger-wheels.com