Firmware Istallation Manual - Typo?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Vosperboss

Firmware Istallation Manual - Typo?

Post by Vosperboss »

Hi

I'm delighted to say I have just got my Megajolt v3 running on my Lamm Mini Cabrio - one of my sons bought and built the MJ some (4?) years ago and never had an engine long enough to get around to fitting it! I have found the info on this forum/site invaluable - and was able to complete everything purely from the wisdom found on here! I had no problems using my USB to Serial cable.

One small, rather crucial, typo (I reckon) in the 'Installing the firmware' section of the firmware installation guide on the site: where it says 'Change the directory to where you saved your firmware files earlier at the C: prompt (Type cd c:mjlj and press enter)' I think the command should be 'cd c:\mjlj'? It's years since I have used DOS! Anyway this seemed to do the trick when I upgraded to v3.3.1 of the firmware.

I have modified the MJ motherboard as Yvan suggested, ready for fitting a temp sensor in due course (though I am thinking of using the existing engine coolant sensor via a single tansistor 'buffer').

I have downloaded the A-series map I saw Nitropixie and others recommend for the A-series, but haven't had a chance to road test the car yet!

For info the engine has a Slark head (high compression - I think I asked for 11.5 or 12 to 1, running superplus fuel) and a decent exhaust, but otherwise the engine is pretty standard 'MG Metro' spec. I reckon the distributor used on these engines (ie when they went unleaded) gives gutless performance which is one of the reasons I have fitted the MJ. I have machined the trigger pattern into the standard crankshaft damper (using a standard pillar drill with table turned through 90degs) and would recommend this approach as it seems to work well (even when I experimented with a sensor gap of up to 1/8 in!).

Phil