No change in timing when hit with timing light

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jamesbekman

No change in timing when hit with timing light

Post by jamesbekman »

Hi,

So I successfully got the edis running on its own, then the megajolt wired up and hooked up and running properly with the laptop. Everything looks great. The only problem is when I use a regular timing light on the car it is showing -5BTDC. The megajolt is showing -20BTDC on the software but in reality it hasnt changed at all on the car.

Its a regular timing light, no advance on it, that connect around the spark plug cable.
This is an example of the light http://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Inductive-T ... B002GWFRFI

What can I track down to sort the issue out?

Im thinking the pip saw? Run a new cable?
The edis unit itself?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

James

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If the Megajolt is showing the correct RPM and is showing ignition advance, then the likely problem is around the SAW connection between the Megajolt and the EDIS module. The PIP is likely correct as this is how the Megajolt reads RPM.

You will need to check the SAW connection- make sure it is connected to the correct pin on the Megajolt, and is connected to the correct pin on the EDIS module.

Please follow up and let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

Hi Brent,

I did a continuity test and the cables are good. I tried pushing the connection into the molex plug a little more to see if it wasnt seated properly. I will have to find time to test this week. I will keep you posted.

-James

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

I had a chance this weekend to check the saw connection.

It ended up being the molex connection from the saw wire not making contact with the corresponding megajolt pin. I made up new wires with the molex connectors and connected them individually without the plastic part that clips in. This made the difference and the timing reflect what the megajolt is putting out. Runs great I might add. Have to tune the carbs now. Im very happy. Just have to clean up the cables and make it look pretty and hard wire it to the car. I still have it running off of a separate 12v power supply.

Thanks again!!!

-James