A-series refusing to start

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tommyboy12

A-series refusing to start

Post by Tommyboy12 »

Hi everyone.

New to this forum. Ive installed a Megajolt on my MG Metro engine that is in my Mini. However the car flat out refuses to start, except the once which I will go into. Ive troubleshooted as far as my knowledge goes and ive got no where so I thought I would ask here.

The loom was pre-made, as were the brackets and pulley, which is a press fit and tack welded affair. Ive been told by the company making the loom that it was tested on a Mini prior to shipping and have checked all the voltages I can confirm that its 100% functional. I have also checked the coil-pack and HT leads which give good values.

The car will cough and splutter without the MJ plugged in but will refuse to start. Ive attempted with the MJ connected and its the same story except it will backfire through the carb too.

The engine will actually get hot if I repeatedly crank it for long enough. It has also started once. It required a huge amount of advance from the MJ. A full 50 degrees! Which obviously isnt right.

Ive attempted to time the engine with a light during cranking and its seems that its firing ATDC however my timing light doesnt go below 0 degrees BTDC.

Ive also included some pictures of the engine lined up at TDC for your scrutineering. I personally believe the bracket is 10 degrees out but Ive been told the engine should start anyway.

I hope someone can help as im getting desperate. Its not been running for months now...

Thanks in advance.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

It sounds to me that either the missing tooth is in the wrong place or the plug leads are the wrong way round. Checking the position of the missing tooth is relatively simple. Set the engine to TDC then looking towards the trigger wheel count clockwise 9 teeth - that is where the missing tooth should be.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

eds911915

a series cranks but wont start

Post by eds911915 »

check for spark befor you do another activity it doesnt matter for the sake of spark wear the wheel is positioned. i think the best way to do is pull all the plugs out so the engine spins free (no load) lay all your plugs on the cam cover (make sure there grounded) crank the motor and you should see consistant spark from all 4 plugs if you dont see spark start checking all the usual suspects, bad ground, sensor to wheel alignment, backed out pins, battery voltage. if you do have spark then your wheel needs to be re-timed or re-positioned.

Tommyboy12

Post by Tommyboy12 »

Plugs are definitely correct and the sparks are firing. As I said. The engine gets hot after lots of cranking so combustion must be occuring. Both pictures show the engine at TDC. The second you can see the missing tooth. Which I measured at 90 degrees BTDC. The sensor mount however is 100 degrees BTDC.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

If you're at TDC in that second picture then your wheel is on in completely the wrong place. That picture shows the missing tooth just 1 tooth ahead of the sensor not 9!
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Tommyboy12

Post by Tommyboy12 »

Yeah... That seems to be the established problem now Ive asked a few other people too.

The pulley was provided to me by someone who makes looms for MJ setups for Minis so Im on his case about it now.

Im a bit disappointed as the rest of his kit/service was spot on.