misfire?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spud15

misfire?

Post by spud15 »

I have the megajolt lite jnr on a v6 - im getting intermittent popping on 1 x exhaust ( dual system) - have changed the leads on that side but no joy - its the 1st time ive started it on the mega jolt - does anyone know what it might be?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Is it an intermittent hesitation at a certain RPM? often this is due to a trigger wheel -> sensor alignment issue, or sensor vibration due to a flexing mounting bracket.

Also, is this an emerging problem after some time of successful running, or is it a new system you're working on running for the first time?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

spud15

Post by spud15 »

Hi brent - thanks for the answer - i put the toothed wheel / harmonic balancer on the lathe - turned it down - now 2 thou out of true over all - so nice - aligned the sensor nicely - under a ml clearance - works well at idle now. (it is a new application - on an essex 3ltr v6 - ford capri). It does pop a lot at revs but idles ok now. Im struggling to get the computer to talk to the mega jolt but still trying a few things ....

spud15

Post by spud15 »

Hi Brent - have it running - brought a new computer with the correct port - but have a mis fire at idle - if i take the lead of no.1 - it stops - however there is spark to the plug - it also misfires at high revs ....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A couple of things you can check:

- Sensor bracket flexing / vibrating at certain RPMs. if the sensor is vibrating it can alter the signal to the EDIS module, causing a mis-fire. Making the bracket more rigid may help.

- you might want to check for lean conditions on your cylinders- this could cause the popping / misfiring.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

spud15

Post by spud15 »

Thanks Brent - no the leads are okay - switched them around etc - no difference - i put a new coil pack in - no change - the sensor is mounted on an aluminium block (60 x 60 x 20 ml) welded to the timing cover. - verry stable. When i put the dizzy back on - the prob disappears so has to be the edis somewhere. Could it be the sensor? and why only on no.1

spud15

Post by spud15 »

Got it going okay - input signal now excellent, new coil pack, wiring etc but on the dyno - it will spontainiously retard around 20 degrees and go back to normal. The abnormality happens in an instant and returns with no explanation .. any thoughts?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Does it still happen with the Megajolt disconnected (running only on EDIS in 'limp home' mode)?