Rover 4.6 Race map needed or some help to make a good map!

Browse and share Ignition Configurations in this forum

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MGB_73

Rover 4.6 Race map needed or some help to make a good map!

Post by MGB_73 »

Good morning,

I am new here and have bought the Megajolt map system for my MGB Race car.

My engine is a 4.6 with a Piper 285 cam, CR 11.2 Edelbrock performer with Edelbrock 500 carb, flywheel 11kg, free blow headers and 10 blots heads with enlarged ports.

My issue now is that I have the Megajolt Map (vacuum) system on my car and I have no idea what a good map is for racing (between 3.000 and 6.500rpm). I have no idea what load in relation to advance is?

I am looking forward to get a map for my race V8 or some information how I set-up the map for my use?

Sorry for my English I am from Germany.

Cheers and have a nice Easter time,
Volker

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Best option would be to educate yourself. I've done it with some very good books you can find on amazon if you haven't done it already.

Here's the ones I love:
Performance Fuel Injection System from Matt Cramer (Megasquirt)

Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems by Greg Banish

How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman - not so easy to read, not so many pictures but full of good info

Then to answer your question, since I'm the same boat with fully modified engine with no baseline or what so ever.

I've started with a map reproducing a regular mechanical advance timing system no load dependant, only RPM.
It starts at idle at 16°, goes to full advance linearly at 34° at 3500 up to redline.

Next steps would be to fine tune this map first. I've got a wideband (Innovate LM2), data from MJLJ & a home made knock sensor.
With data from MJLJ I should be able to track how the engine rev over time (power)

To tune load related timing, I expect to go on regular roads and get some basic states tuned: 130kph on highway, 90kph on country roads, 50kph on city driving, etc.
I'm going to increase timing until I feel no more changes on the corresponding cells.

Last step: I'm going manually to smoothen the map in between different conditions to get a full map.

Of course, this is theoretical approach. I'll see how it goes while I'll be doing it.

Best way, of course, is dyno time but we need a brake loaded unit, not an inertia one. In Europe, it is not very common. it costs also money and somebody might do it for you - not so funny.

Hope that helps :wink:
Mathieu

MGB_73

Post by MGB_73 »

Hi Mathieu,

Sorry for the late reply I was in for 14 days in Asia and had not much time to look into the net!

I have send you a PM mail.

I am still looking for a good map for my race 4.6 MGB Roadster?

Cheers,
Volker
Take care,
Volker