Mounting in motorcycle

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

neoraptor

Mounting in motorcycle

Post by neoraptor »

Hi everyone,
I would like to mount the logger tomorrow in my motorcycle.
What is the best place to put it?
Is there some calibration in order to set the vertical position, because I don't think I will manage to place it fully horizontal?
Is there some motorbike specific options (lean angle would be very useful)?

What should be the input voltage?

Looking forward your answer,
Jonathan

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thank you for supporting the RaceCapture/Pro project!

* For best results using the Yaw sensor you should mount the system flat, if possible. Possibly underneath the seat. * There is an accelerometer calibration feature built into the firmware which will be made available in the next version of Race Analyzer software.
* There are no motorbike specific options; we would welcome some feedback in this area. The Z axis will help you indicate lean
* Voltage is between 9 and 18v.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

neoraptor

Post by neoraptor »

Thank you for your quick answer :wink:

I will try to do the best, but the system can not be 100% flat.
However, the yaw sensor is not as important as in a car (page 12 of http://web.mechse.illinois.edu/media/up ... 524726.pdf)
In a motorcycle, the roll angle is much more interesting (according to the conclusion of this study : http://www.ini.rub.de/data/documents/sc ... iv2012.pdf)

Is there a full gyro+accelerometer embedded on RaceCapture Pro?

Voltage should be fine as I have standard 12V battery.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Yes, a full 3 axis accelerometer plus a 1 channel yaw sensor (to measure understeer / oversteer) is mounted on board.

What you could do is mount the unit vertically, and then use the yaw sensor (gyro) to measure lean rate of change. It may not be perfect, as it won't be in the center of rotation, but it could provide some interesting data!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

neoraptor

Post by neoraptor »

Yes, that would be interesting, but I may not have enough place to mount a unit vertically.
The gyro only has 1 dof? Or is only the yaw axis used?

neoraptor

Post by neoraptor »

I finally manage to mount it vertically in the tail, building a support.

For motorcyclist, it would be really nice to have a small box with the sensor inside. It would be much more easy to place it near the center of gravity.

The other suggestion would be to incorporate a 3 axis gyro, and choose which axis we want to monitor. In that case, we can place our box either vertically or horizontally.

I open the board and see that you use serial communication for expansion cards.
* Is it possible to daisy chain them (multiple cards on 1 slot) ?
* What is the protocol? How fast can be the update rate?

I would like to build a box to monitor tyre temperature (2-3 sensors / wheel) and send the infos to RaceCapture Pro. It will save me the other inputs for other sensors (RPM/Wheel Speed/Suspensions/...).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The two connectors to the right of the button are RS232 serial ports. one is reserved for GPS, the other is for external integration (telemetry, bluetooth -> android app, or other integration. The baud rate can be set in firmware to 230400.

Like any RS232 serial connection, if you wanted to connect multiple devices to a port, one could be in listen only mode (reading) and the other could be read/write.

Can you list all of the sensors you want to connect on your system, so we know how you're planning to use the system?

Yes, we agree a 3 axis gyro would be even better for the future. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

neoraptor

Post by neoraptor »

I plan to equip my bike with the following sensors :
* TPS
* Front brake
* RPM
* Gear position
* Wheel speed front
* Wheel speed rear
* Some temperatures (motor, water)
* Lambda sensor
* Traction control activation (next bike)
* Lean angle sensor (if integrating roll is not good enough)
* Tire temperature (3 sensors / wheel)
* Magnetic beacon

I would like to use an external output to display a LED warning if tyre temperature is too low (I fall once this year because of this).
And use an external box connected to RaceCapture to do that (to avoid using 6 AI for this).

This is still a work in progress, as I only have 2 sensors connected for the moment (TPS and RPM).

I would also like to connect a telemetry module, a dash/display (can be smartphone based) and a Wireless Gopro trigger to start recording in sync with the data.

Here are some additional infos : http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=3762