Bug in device naming

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

ZeeB

Bug in device naming

Post by ZeeB »

After mucking about with setting up my device I discovered something that doesnt work. I originally named my device with a # in the device name. It didnt complain at create time, but when adding it to an event the website wouldnt work. Renaming the device without the # got rid of the problem.

I realize with HTTP it probably isnt possible to have a # character, it would be nice to at least have a note on the device naming page with limitations there(easiest fix). Better still would be to have it prohibit a name that wouldnt work.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi ZeeB! Thanks for letting us know, I'll add a fix and some messaging.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi ZeeB, I tried to reproduce with a device name with a '#' in it and I didn't have any issues. Can you explain what you mean by "wouldn't work"? Did you get an error message?
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

ZeeB

Post by ZeeB »

I setup a a device that was named Device#30 in the add device section. This worked as I would expect.

My problems occurred when I tried to use that device in an event.
1.Click on event
2.Choose Seed Event
3.Select Add device to event
4.Add device to event leaving ustream URL blank
5. At this point I would get a sorry there has been an error page.

If I browsed back to the event page my car would be listed in the event but if I choose to look at telemetry I would get the same sorry error page.

I just tried this again this morning and all seems to be working, I was using chrome on my iphone to do this last night as we were out test driving at the time I was checking. I have tried it on desktop and my phone and all is working now. Is there some delay from adding a device before it can be used in an event? I was probably within 20 minutes of having added the device to my account when we hit the road?

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Oh, don't add your device to Seed Event. Create a new one for right now or don't even create one and if your device connects to race-capture.com an ad-hoc even will be added to it.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs