2 stroke RPM and RCP crashing

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

rushy

2 stroke RPM and RCP crashing

Post by rushy »

I dont know if anybody else has had the same issue, but when connecting a wire from my HT lead to the Pulse Input every now and again the unit will crash and i will have to do a reboot.

I have some log files and the RPM is reading correctly, however it just is a bit hit and miss whether the unit will stay running for a period of time. The unit works perfectly if the pulse input is disconnected and the other channels log fine.

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

The inputs are only rated to 40V. I wouldn't hook a cable directly to the HT lead. You're probably frying the unit.
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

rushy

Post by rushy »

Anyone suggest what the best solution for this is?

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

I use an RPM output from my ECU. Do you have a similar output you could tap?
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We are soon releasing a small adapter board called "CoilX" that will take the high voltage signal from a coil pack and convert it to a clean signal that RaceCapture/Pro can handle.

Information on the adapter can be found here: https://github.com/autosportlabs/coilx

We will be have built / assembled units in our online store within 2-3 weeks.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

baz03

Post by baz03 »

With the karting loggers they clip on external sensor or some just a single wire back to the logger this is what Rushy means not directly wiring into the HT.
we do have access to the primary coil inputs that are voltage generated by mag rotor and stator type.
Any ideas what would be the best option to get a clean signal that RCP could handle?
Cheers Brian

ohiokm11

Post by ohiokm11 »

baz03 wrote:With the karting loggers they clip on external sensor or some just a single wire back to the logger this is what Rushy means not directly wiring into the HT.
we do have access to the primary coil inputs that are voltage generated by mag rotor and stator type.
Any ideas what would be the best option to get a clean signal that RCP could handle?
Cheers Brian
In order to do the inductance route of acquiring RPM off the spark plug wire using a wire wrapped around it, the signal will need to be conditioned to a clean square wave in order for RCP to process it. There are some good visuals of what the raw signal looks like here: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/ignition-primary.html and here: http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mccrae/proj ... ignal.html

This is something that I haven't had the time to dedicate to getting sorted out yet, but if Brent has a solution coming soon, that seems to be the way to go :) [url]

ohiokm11

Post by ohiokm11 »

brentp wrote:We are soon releasing a small adapter board called "CoilX" that will take the high voltage signal from a coil pack and convert it to a clean signal that RaceCapture/Pro can handle.

Information on the adapter can be found here: https://github.com/autosportlabs/coilx

We will be have built / assembled units in our online store within 2-3 weeks.
Brent,

Any update on when we can expect CoilX to be available?

Thanks!

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

ohiokm11

Post by ohiokm11 »

So its's $7 to ship a 1"x0.5" module?! I think $0.46 would be a bit more reasonable. Maybe even $2.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Ohiokm11,

It ships out Priority Mail with tracking, and just like UPS, they have a minimum charge for shipping. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter