Please help me with setting up/configuration

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

Captain Chaos

Please help me with setting up/configuration

Post by Captain Chaos »

Greetings from the UK :)

I recently purchased a Race Capture Pro and this is my first experience of data logging, I wonder if any of you guys could kindly help me out with a few issues

I've got the RCP powered up and updated to firmware 1.2.6, I'm running RaceAnalyzer 1.1.14.

I'm trying to configure one of the analog inputs to measure the existing Throttle Position Sensor on an Ariel Atom. When at Wide Open Throttle, it gives an output of +4.8 volts. When shut, it outputs +1.25 volts.

Looking through the online software guide, I assume that I need to configure the scaling in the "Advanced Analog Input Settings".

I assumed that I would map +1.25volts to equal "0" (0% throttle opening) and +4.8volts to equal "100" (100% throttle opening). However, I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Could someone please explain how I can successfully map this sensor input to the data logger? I am a complete begineer when it comes to data logging, so would really appreciate any help.

From the online instructions here, I've been following the screenshot below:

I've circled the "RAW" data field.

On my software, I get the following:

I don't have the "RAW" field, mine says "Volts". Is this important? I cannot see how I can change it?

Also, when I try to import data from the SD card in my Race Capture Pro, the analog channel I have tried to assign for TPS measurement always says its measuring in "F" units (Farenheit) between 0 and 300. How can I change this? The only table I can change is the "Type" table, and only from a drop down menu as shown in my screenshot below:

This seems like a great data logger, I'm hoping that these are just "simple" issues that can be easily overcome. I would appreciate any help.

Happy New Year :)

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Hello again :)

Just to update you all, after a whole day spent in my garage, through trial and error I believe I've managed to get the throttle position logged correctly using the following parameters:

However, if anyone could answer my other questions I would be very grateful.

Also, I'm now trying to log the rpm feed. I've tapped into pin 1 on the back of my SPA dash as shown below:

I've previously tapped into this feed for a shift light indicator which works fine. However, the data logged by the Race Capture Pro is a higher value than the true rpm, and I can't seem to get it right even though I have tried different settings in the advanced menu (I am using one of the Pulse/Timer Input Channels, I hope that is correct??)

As with my TPS settings, I cannot alter some of the incorrect parameters for the RPM, e.g. the max rpm is set at 10000 which I cannot change:

Could someone please help me, I don't know if its something I'm not doing right (most probably), or some sort of software glitch?

Hope you're all having a good day,

Cheers :)

Captain Chaos

Re: Please help me with setting up/configuration

Post by Captain Chaos »

Hi again,

I've managed to map the RPM/tacho feed by asking for help on other car forums and getting responses there.

However, I would still like to find an answer to one of the issues in my original post:

Captain Chaos wrote:Greetings from the UK :)

Also, when I try to import data from the SD card in my Race Capture Pro, the analog channel I have tried to assign for TPS measurement always says its measuring in "F" units (Farenheit) between 0 and 300. How can I change this? The only table I can change is the "Type" table, and only from a drop down menu as shown in my screenshot below:

Can someone from Autosportlabs kindly reply as I cannot work this out myself. Should I be able to change the values in the tables above? Currently, if I try and view the logged TPS data it is scaled 0 - 300, even though I've set the mapped value for the analogue scaling map (in advanced analogue input settings) for between 0 (1.24 volts) and 100 (4.79 volts).

Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thank you for the comment the feedback!

the documentation has changed from RAW to actual volts, as that makes more sense to people.

The easiest way to calibrate the throttle position is to set the calibration to the simple linear scale for 0-5v and then use the sensor monitor to record the value when at 0% throttle and again at 100% throttle. You can record both values and then load it into the scaling window. This is something we need to document for certain.

The TPS column should be % and a 0-100%

Watch for an updated version of RaceCapture that fixes these issues!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

brentp wrote:Hi,

Thank you for the comment the feedback!

the documentation has changed from RAW to actual volts, as that makes more sense to people.

The easiest way to calibrate the throttle position is to set the calibration to the simple linear scale for 0-5v and then use the sensor monitor to record the value when at 0% throttle and again at 100% throttle. You can record both values and then load it into the scaling window. This is something we need to document for certain.

The TPS column should be % and a 0-100%

Hi Brent, thanks very much for the reply, much appreciated! In some ways I'm glad its a software "glitch" as I was going loopy trying to work out what I was doing wrong!

Do you have any idea how long it will be until a new softwareware version is released to correct this?

Should I also be able to set the Max speed and rpm values? The default values are 10000rpm and 240mph, sadly my car won't do either! Should I be able to change these values to something more suitable to my specific application, as currently I am unable to edit them? If so, will this be corrected in a future software release?

Many thanks again :-)

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Captain Chaos wrote: Should I also be able to set the Max speed and rpm values? The default values are 10000rpm and 240mph, sadly my car won't do either! Should I be able to change these values to something more suitable to my specific application, as currently I am unable to edit them? If so, will this be corrected in a future software release?
Me too! The min/max scaling values are not contained in the logfile and I can't find an .ini file to change these settings. Ideally, I'd like to be able to zoom in and out in RaceAnalyzer when viewing data, both vertically and horizontally on the time axis. But until this feature is implemented I'd be happy if I could manually change the scaling, such as min/max g, rpm, etc. This should also be configurable in the Bluetooth app, because with 10000rpm scaling my signal gets kind of lost, and my old Vdub revs higher than most to 7400rpm.

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Captain Chaos wrote:

Do you have any idea how long it will be until a new software version is released to correct this?

Should I also be able to set the Max speed and rpm values? The default values are 10000rpm and 240mph, sadly my car won't do either! Should I be able to change these values to something more suitable to my specific application, as currently I am unable to edit them? If so, will this be corrected in a future software release?

Hi Brent and everyone else,

Any update on the above?

Many thanks again :)

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Captain Chaos wrote:
brentp wrote:The TPS column should be % and a 0-100%

Hi Brent, thanks very much for the reply, much appreciated! In some ways I'm glad its a software "glitch" as I was going loopy trying to work out what I was doing wrong!

Do you have any idea how long it will be until a new softwareware version is released to correct this?

As above, should I be able to alter the max speed and rpm values? Is this another "quirk" awaiting a software fix?

Many thanks

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Captain Chaos wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:
brentp wrote:The TPS column should be % and a 0-100%

As above, should I be able to alter the max speed and rpm values? Is this another "quirk" awaiting a software fix?

Many thanks
Any chance someone from Autosportlabs could take the time to answer?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply! No, the default values are not configurable, but they are on the to-do list as this is an important feature!

We'll let you know when it is complete.

Thank you,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter