Changed to new laptop setting up issues.

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mini1293

Changed to new laptop setting up issues.

Post by Mini1293 »

Hey guys.

I';ve had my MJ running in my mini for a few years now.

I've now come to play with it, but found the laptop i used for it is dead. So i've just brought another one just to run it, as my daily laptop is apple.

Ive downloaded a driver and installed the usb - serial adaptor, and imputted it (com8) into the configurator.

I've powered the MJ up with a 9v battery, but i can't get any further. At the bottom it says 'timeout reading cylinder count'
This message is there wity and without the MJ powered up.

I downloaded version 4.0.0 as downloading the others didn't seem to work. (it wouldn't get past the run or save screen)

I'm not sure if thats the readon or not, hence asking for advice. How do i check to see what firmware is installed?

Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Are you able to verify what COM port the USB to to serial adapter is running on? You can determine this using Device Manager.

When the software can communicate, you will be able to check the firmware using the 'Help/About' menu item in the software when it is connected.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

This is really peeing me off now!

I had it working on a 9v battery sunday night, but now it's not working at all again!

I ordered a new usb-serial converter from trigger wheels, didn't turn up in time so i bought one on sunday, installed it and boom, talking to each other fine.

I've now had the trigger wheels one turn up so thought i'd giver it a go. As it's shorter and neater. But now its not working on either of them!!

com port checked and changed as required.

Hellllp!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry you're having problems. Are you able to confirm the power going to the unit? You can use a digital volt meter to measure the voltage going to the unit while it's connected. Sometimes if the 9v batter voltage drops it can cause problems in communications.

Also, can you install it in the vehicle and power it by the vehicle battery? (key to 'on', but not running). That would provide it with steady power.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

thanks for the speedy reply.

I now come to you from out side in the car.

It is plugged into the loom and ignition is on, MJ is powered up. But nothing on the lsptop. say timeout reading cylinder count at the bottom :(

cheers

cng1

Post by cng1 »

I don't believe that the 4.0.0 configurator software will work with the 4.0.2 firmware that I suspect that you have on your ECU. The 4.0.2 configurator download seems to work OK at present from the web site: http://autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Downloads
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Thanks for that.

I've just tried downloading them again, and it's not working. I screenshotted the message and hopefully its attached.

This is the same for .1 and .2

If you don't think it will work on .0, it would make sense, except i dit have it working briefly the other night as i explained, but now nothing :cry:

cheers
Attachments
screenshot of error message
screenshot of error message
sc sh.JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 10939 times

cng1

Post by cng1 »

That is strange. I wonder if your copy of Windows or Internet Explorer is corrupting the download in some way.

Would it be possible for you to try the download on a different web browser - say Chrome or Firefox and see if that works.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

That's not a bad shout ill give that a go tonight, if not I'm pretty stuck :(

Cheers

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Right, i've now got all 3 downloads, and none of them are working.

Plug it in, it says timeout reading cylinder count, unplug it and it says can not open port.

Getting to the point i want to put a dizzy back in it :(

cheers

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Right, so i seem to be getting somewhere, but not getting anywhere.

I found the problem with connecting the computer, the soldering in the serial end of the comms leads was shocking! I've re-soldered it, and its not seeing it, well, kind of!

Connect it up, ignition on, and push the blue arrow, i get this warning message.

Theres a map on there, i know there is. I can start the engine, open a map, write a flash it.

I've also just noticed this problem, in the next screen shot. It says 2 cylinders, and wont let me change it to 4, everytime i go back into it, its all changed back.

I also noticed earlier on the rpm gauge on the screen was working, but now it isn't. The one in the dash still works :roll:

Endless problems itr seems :(

Please help.

cheers
Attachments
warning
warning
sc.JPG (98.17 KiB) Viewed 10859 times
clylinders
clylinders
cly sc.JPG (100.09 KiB) Viewed 10859 times