Firmware Updates

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

rlogan

Firmware Updates

Post by rlogan »

Is there a way to determine firmware version? I just got my unit a few weeks ago and I don't know what firmware came on it so I don't know which usb driver to use. I was going to go ahead and load the latest firmware just to be safe.

I have tried two different Windows machines with the same result.

It gets to the point of "Waiting for device to appear on USB........" and never moves on...

Based on what I read, the "flashRCP.bat" handles any drivers needed to communicate with the device or is that assumption incorrect. On the second machine I tried, I went straight to the bat file (didn't mess with any usb drivers first).

I answered y to "Is this the first time flashing firmware?"

I have one more machine to try on so I thought I would verify my assumptions before I continue on.

Thanks
Attachments
RCP_FirmwareSnap.jpg
RCP_FirmwareSnap.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 6251 times

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

Given that it's not seeing the RCP after you install drivers, I think it's likely that it's running the older firmware and you need to install the older drivers to communicate with it. Once it's updated, you can then install the newer drivers. I've no idea how to check what firmware version you're running other than by remembering what you installed last!
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

rlogan

Post by rlogan »

I tried the V1 driver and it lets me install it. It then shows up as it should under the device manager on COM4.

RaceAnalyzer gives an "unknown error" though when trying to read configuration (and correct COM# is set).

I tried the V2 driver and windows doesn't seem to think it is applicable for the device so I agree that it probably has the older firmware.

Maybe I should first try updating to the latest of the old style firmware and see if I can get that to work.

I was under the assumption that when the firmware is being updated, it uses a different driver (not the one typically used for day to day use with RaceAnalyzer) If I try to update the firmware then the device shows up as bootloader or something to that effect. I had to go in and remove that driver to get it to show up the correct way.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct, when the system is in bootloader mode it uses a different driver. this bootloader driver gets installed with the flashRCP.bat installer script you'll find in the latest firmware download.

After the bootloader driver is installed, and you fire up RCP in bootloader mode (holding down the button on the unit) It should show up in windows device manager as "Autosport Labs bootloader" under "libusb..." devices.

Take a peek at device manager and let us know what you see in the list while in bootloader mode; we're especially interested if it shows any device or driver errors.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rlogan

Post by rlogan »

Unfortunately it does not show up at all under bootloader mode.

If I just plug it in normally (not holding button down) , then it shows as:

libusb-win32 devices
Autosports Lab Bootloader

This is also on a fresh machine.
I just ran the firmware batch file which of course installed the bootloader driver...then plugged in the RCP while holding down the button. It never finds it...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

emailed you directly so we can dig in to it further via screen-sharing.

What I would want to try (while RCP is in bootloader mode) is delete the libusb bootloader driver (from within device manager - right click, delete), then re-run flashRCP.bat and see if it gets the bootloader driver installed correctly, so it can detect RCP and start the flashing process.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rlogan

Post by rlogan »

I have tried various ways... and whether I have it already in bootloader mode and install driver or if I have already installed the driver and then plug in RCP (with button down), the device shows up momentarily under "Other Devices -> Autosports Labs Bootloader" (with exclamation point), then after a couple of seconds, it goes away and shows up as "Human Interface Devices -> USB Input Device"

If I uninstall the 'USB Input Device" device, unplug and try again (in bootloader mode) it repeats the same thing every time.

I also tried deleting "USB Input Device" and then just rerunning the flashRCP.bat again and loading drivers. This does not seem to matter...it's always ends up (after a few seconds) a "USB Input Device".

I didn't see an email BTW...I'll watch for it. Checked SPAM as well...

I have a race this weekend so I am hoping to get it up and running and gather some data.

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got your email.

In the meantime, while it is in bootloader mode, try manually installing the unzipped bootloader drivers to see if you get any further.

Also, while in bootloader mode, try deleting the driver completely in device manager, then re-install the bootloader driver and see if that makes a difference.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rlogan

Post by rlogan »

Thanks for the call and spending the time to help me out Brent. It is up and running...I will let you know how it works out this weekend!

I swear I went through that exact process 4-5 times on 3 different machines at least. Who knows...it works now and that is all that matters!

Thanks again,
Ryan

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad we got it working; I was hoping to catch something weird in the act. We'll work on making the process easier!

keep your eye on the V2 firmware updates!

-Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter