Custom Enclosure

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

emdash

Custom Enclosure

Post by emdash »

Designing a better enclosure for Race Capture. I need something water resistant, and that offers more options for mounting. Using FreeCAD 0.13. It's a little buggy, but I'm able to work with it.

One idea is to make better side covers for the existing aluminum housing. The plan is to add some kind of removable cover plate or cap to allow access to the SD card and serial ports. I have some simple ideas on how to have weather-resistant connections. So far, I've got the existing openings modeled in CAD. Screenshot of progress is attached.
Attachments
Snapshot of work in progress.
Snapshot of work in progress.
rcpcover.png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 5088 times

emdash

Post by emdash »

Stumbled on this by accident. Posting here for future reference. The existing enclosure seems to be based on this product.

http://www.boxenclosures.com/category/p ... _id=222619

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Whoah, that looks like a great start! Let us know how it goes.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

emdash

Concepts

Post by emdash »

Attaching some snapshots of different mounting ideas. I'd like to try and clamp to part of the roll cage in front of the dashboard.
Attachments
RCPClamp.png
RCPClamp.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
rcpmount2.png
rcpmount2.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
Side cockpit view showing possible mounting point.
Side cockpit view showing possible mounting point.
cockpit_side_view_no_body.jpg (168.06 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

emdash

Need to start over

Post by emdash »

Ran a test print today at tech shop, and all the dimensions were slightly off. This is why I don't like reverse engineering things with calipers. It's wayyy better to work from the original drawings.

The drawings for the enclosure are available at the page linked in a previous post, however not all the relevant dimensions are included (in particular, the dimensions of the wedge-shaped grove on the side of the extrusion).

Accurate dimensions are given for the screws which hold the end covers in place, as well as the width and height. I might start over with just those. I have a cunning plan...