Analog to CAN

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

jakekooser

Analog to CAN

Post by jakekooser »

I'm working on my car, an '86 Porsche 911, which doesn't have any modern electronics to speak of. At this moment, I am mainly looking to use my RC as an engine monitor, with the bonus of x/y/z built in. Eventually, I will probably want to learn why I'm such a bad driver and then use the RC for more things related to that, but still keep the engine monitoring.

I had the thought that if there were some device that would take my mostly analog inputs (O2 sensor, Fuel level, Oil pressure, Oil temperature, Oil level, Brake pressure, Throttle position) from the engine and convert them to a CAN protocol, that might free up the analog ports again to be used for steering angle / suspension height / whatever.

Any opinions on this device, or recommendations to achieve this?

http://www.navstore.com/noland-engineer ... OgodzgoA6A

Thanks

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Anything?

SaabPower

Post by SaabPower »

I am interested in a similar analog-to-CAN setup for more sensors as well.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry for the late reply. The V2 firmware (soon to be released) combined with the CANx adapter will let you do things like sample the analog channel in Lua scripting, then create a CAN message containing that information.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/_Lua_Scrip ... _functions

Watch the blog, forums and facebook page for news on the V2 firmware. Since the changes are so big and involves a new replacement app for RaceAnalyzer, it will be offered as a beta for people to try out.

Hope that helps.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter