No spark when EDIS stands alone

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tom205

No spark when EDIS stands alone

Post by Tom205 »

Hey guys!

I found that my car was idling rough so I checked ignition with my timing light.
Cylinders 1,2 and three are misfiring very often and cylinder 4 just occasionally.

So i thought, lets disconnect the megajolt and see if the misfire occurs if the EDIS is doing all the work.
While the whole system works absolutely fine (except some misfires) the EDIS does nothing when I disconnect the megajolt. It's getting the necessary 12V juice while cranking.

Furthermore I checked:
-Spark plug wires and resistance
-Coil resistance
-spark plugs
+12V on the edis

Maybe there's a problem with my loom? Or with the EDIS module? Anyone?

Ps: I do not know for sure the VR signal is noise-free, but with the MJ connected it is working enough to let the engine idle. So I first want to get the engine to spark by the Edis before making it run like a song.

Thanks in advance!

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Did you use shielded cable to the VR sensor? it could be that the Edis module is bad, although the story goes that they are almost unbreakable. The fact that it happens to the same cylinders might be an indication that the Edis module is bad. Check also ground of the engine.

Alex

Tom205

Post by Tom205 »

Thanks for your reply. I do use shielded wire.

I think I found the first problem. I do have the hard rev. limiter so that means the coil isn't being powered when I remove the MJ plug.
So my next step is to feed the coil (by shorting the molex) and see if it's misfiring in limp mode as well.

If it runs smooth on EDIS alone, can I assume the PIP/SAW signal is being interfered?

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

PIP/SAW is the next suspect if everything goes well with the Edis in stand-alone modus. Has idling been fine before? Are all connector pins connecting the way they should?

Alex