MegaJolt only firing on two cylinders

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

OJKD

MegaJolt only firing on two cylinders

Post by OJKD »

OK, this might be a very weird problem. When I am running MJ, or EDIS for that sake, it only runs on cyl 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are completely dead, not even vacuum in carb throats when running.

When I went back to points, it ran on all 4, or I had vacuum on all 4 at least. The engine is a M10 from a 320/4, in a BMW 1602.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You want to check your spark plug firing sequence for the coil packs to make sure they are firing in the right order for your engine. Remember that wasted spark fires A/B/A/B, where one of the sparks fires in the exhaust stroke.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

OJKD

Post by OJKD »

I've tried several configurations to firing order. 1 and 4 on right and 2 and 3 left. Clockwise 1342 from upper right ans some others. Same outcome on all. Only vacuum on 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are dead. Can you explain how it is supposed to be? My coil pack in unmarked, so don't use numbers please :-)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi OJDK,

If you look down at the top of the coil pack, with the connector facing you, coil pack pair #1 is the top-left & bottom left, and coil pack pair #2 is top-right and bottom-right.

These pairs fire in an alternating way, so the cylinders you connect to the coil pack should match up to the firing order.

If you have rough running or severe engine bucking, then the left and right pairs should be swapped.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

OJKD

Post by OJKD »

Hi, I am just doing this the simple way; here is a video of it running. Do you think I´ve got the firing order right? It runs on Limp Home at the moment, I have another thread in Q&A because I have timeout issues. I am very grateful for the answers provided here. You do a splendid job brentp. Just because I/we come of as crass or rude at times, we are generally just tired of having troubles with our systems, this forum is really good. Although I would like some more activity in general.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

I saw the video. To me, it sounds like the plugs are connected correctly, but the advance seems wrong.

With the megajolt disconnected, can you put a timing light on the engine and verify the EDIS module is controlling the ignition at 10 degrees BTDC?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter