Serial to USB adapters with Windows 8 and 8.1

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gnvair

Serial to USB adapters with Windows 8 and 8.1

Post by gnvair »

I have a Manhattan Products adapter that came with a FAST XFI system. I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 8.1 and I can not get the lap top to communicate with the MJ.
Doing some research I have found that many people are saying that the Prolific chips in the older adapters (such as mine) are not supported in Windows 8 / 8.1
Is this true and should I get another adapter?
I ask this as I keep getting the "Could not open port" error message.
I have verified the port is correct. I have tried installing drivers for the adapter but I still see the error in the Ports when viewing the connections through the device manager. Its rather frustrating and I would really like to be able to drive my car again.

gnvair

Post by gnvair »

I just picked up another adapter from Radio Shack. It is a Gigaware and is Windows 8 compatible. I installed the drivers and it no longer has any errors when looking at the device manager. But I still get the "could not open port" message at the bottom of the screen. I verified the port settings. What am I missing here?

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Baud rate?

Alex