No data displayed on Race Capture Android app

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

Matt D.

No data displayed on Race Capture Android app

Post by Matt D. »

I've gotten a Toshiba 7" tablet connected to the bluetooth adapter and the Race Capture app is connected to the device, but I am not getting any information to display in the application. The RCP is active and writing logs to the SD card. In the RaceAnalyzer Sensor Monitor on my laptop I am seeing all the data I expect to see (connected via USB), but on the RCP app the sensor monitor page is blank. I added a simple gauge to show voltage and that is reading zero. I also attempted to get it working using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with the same result.

I assume I'm missing something much like I was when I first set up the realtime telemetry but I'm at a loss right now. I couldn't find any documentation on setting up the bluetooth connection and Android app either.

Also, in RaceAnalyzer the dropdown on the Logging/Telemetry page only allows you to select one option, Bluetooth adapter or Cellular telemetry. Can you not use them both at the same time? If not, then this may be my problem.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Edit: I unplugged the cellular module and retried everything so that isn't it.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Matt,

What version of the firmware are you running? That would be the first thing to check. you need at least a version 1.2.x software to use the mobile app.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Matt D.

Post by Matt D. »

brentp wrote:Hi Matt,

What version of the firmware are you running? That would be the first thing to check. you need at least a version 1.2.x software to use the mobile app.
I'm running the latest firmware, 1.2.8.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Can you post your RCP configuration file here? You mentioned changing the cellular connection settings; you definitely need to set the telemetry mode to 'Bluetooth'.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Matt D.

Post by Matt D. »

Here you go.
Attachments
BIR Short.zip
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

I got my Asus tablet (android 4.2.2) to work tonight, though it was a pain mostly due to the tablet. Sometimes when you go into Settings and slide off the bluetooth, it refuses to come back on. For me that's cured by holding the power switch until you get the power menu, then selecting restart. Don't know if this is specific to Asus or android or what.... I've also read that wifi and bluetooth conflict with each other in some tablets - try turning wifi off?

Here's what worked, mostly a sequence of things that have to be running before the next thing. Shut off wifi and bluetooth on the tablet Settings menu. Get Race Capture powered, GPS blinking fast (satellite lock), bluetooth adapter in other socket, blinking also (ready for a connection). I don't have the cellular adapter.

Then wake up tablet, go to settings, turn on bluetooth, ensure it can see and is paired with the RaceCapturePro adapter. At the top row of status icons, you should see the bluetooth logo in dim grey. Now launch the Race Capture app, which (hopefully) shows "Connected to RaceCapturePro" at the bottom, which then scrolls away. The bluetooth adapter LED will stop blinking too. At this point my dashboard shows battery voltage (RPM center, speed topleft, battery top right, two lower locations still show + because I didn't put a gauge there yet). I'm hooked up by USB for power, so battery voltage is around 4.3V, not 12V range of a real car install.

I can also side-swipe until I get the screen with numeric displays, which shows the time of day (as HHMMSS.s) so you can see things are updating thru bluetooth.

While I was writing this, the tablet locked out bluetooth and I had to restart the tablet...
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Matt, your config looks good - it seems that you have it set to bluetooth mode.

When you link the tablet to the bluetooth module, and then select the RaceCapturePro bluetooth device from within the app, does the LED on the module go from flashing to solid?

Also, would you be able to test this on a different android device, just as a troubleshooting step?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Matt D.

Post by Matt D. »

brentp wrote:When you link the tablet to the bluetooth module, and then select the RaceCapturePro bluetooth device from within the app, does the LED on the module go from flashing to solid?

Also, would you be able to test this on a different android device, just as a troubleshooting step?
I tried with the Toshiba tablet and a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with the same results. The LED was solid on the bluetooth module with both devices.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Matt,

Hmm. I don't see anything wrong with your config, and you've tried it on a couple of different android devices. Before we start looking at a hardware fault, like an inability to communicate with the bluetooth module, could you try the latest V2 firmware we just released yesterday?

http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro_V2_software

There might be a thing where resetting the config to a factory default (via flashing this new firmware) could solve the problem. IIRC, the configuration of the firmware out of the box is set to bluetooth only mode.

Thanks for your patience and let us know if that works. If not, we may want to evaluate it directly. I take it it's never worked via bluetooth, correct? But it logs data to SD card correctly and so on?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Ls_Rx7

Post by Ls_Rx7 »

I upgraded to V2 of the software and now am having the same issue. My tablet worked with the latest V1 but now is blank with V2. The led on the bluetooth module goes from blinking to solid and my tablet says that it connects to my racecapture in the app. I tested logging with an SD card and the card showed data in race analyzer.

I have attached a copy of my current config. Hopefully it is just a setting that I do not have turned on.
Attachments
V2config.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Are you still having problems with the app? I think there was another thread dealing with this as well.

We are shortly adding the first dashboard features in the V2 app... stand by :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Ls_Rx7

Post by Ls_Rx7 »

brentp wrote:Are you still having problems with the app? I think there was another thread dealing with this as well.

We are shortly adding the first dashboard features in the V2 app... stand by :)
I haven't had a chance to try it again but I believe I had an error in the virtual gear LUA script that I added. I will give it another try tonight.

Ls_Rx7

Post by Ls_Rx7 »

I flashes back to version 2 today and all is well. I was able to data on my tablet without any issues.i can't wait to try it out this weekend at ORP. I just need to find a good way to mount my tablet to my center console.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Let us know how it went. Note, we're currently developing the dashboard features of the V2 app, and combined with that we'll be porting it to the android platform.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter