Need both Bluetooth and Real Time

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

rob_h

Need both Bluetooth and Real Time

Post by rob_h »

I just purchased a datalogger, Bluetooth module, and real time module. We are running a 3 hour enduro and need both to be functional. How do I wire it?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We are releasing a 'Y' adapter very soon that will allow both to be used at the same time. Watch for it to be available very soon - ini about a week.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

Hello Brent,

Did a Y adapter ever get made for this? I would like to use a "non-connected" tablet as a dash while also getting telemetry. I didn't see the adapter in the store.

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

We have Y adapters but we have not made it officially supported due to the less than ideal user experience.

The limitation, in a nutshell: With a Y-adapter the display won't show data until the cell connection has been established and data has been flowing to the cloud.

* If the cell connection is strong and reliable, a decent user experience can be had.
* If the cell signal quality is marginal, then the display won't update while the cell module attempts to re-connect.

We can make the Y-adapter available for a nominal fee ($9.95) for experimentation if you are willing to work around this limitation. Let us know.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

Y adapter

Post by Chumpcar101 »

What about the ability to use the bluetooth to add tmps reception so that we can monitor tire pressures. Just wondering if bluetooth receiver could be used or some tpms receivers have canbus outputs.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We are researching certain CAN enabled TPMS receivers found in OEM applications.

One such receiver is the unit found in a Fiat 500. The TPMS receiver is CAN bus enabled, running at 50K baud rate.

To use this receiver you would have to reverse engineer:

- new sensor provisioning
- sensor pressure reading
- sensor corner assignment

This is all possible by running the system though it's paces in it's native OEM environment while monitoring / logging the CAN bus messages. Classic reverse engineering procedure.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

TPMS

Post by Chumpcar101 »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have been researching aftermarket tpms sensors and there are numerous ones that have canbus outputs. What I need to know is what protocol the RC accepts and how it would appear on the live feed. I am willing to spend some money to test some of them out if you are willing to help me understand what I am doing.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can identify the TPMS systems you are researching we can help evaluate them.

We can adapt any kind of CAN bus data and transform them into virtual channels, similar to how we accessed CAN bus data in this blog post:
https://www.autosportlabs.com/pre-obd-i ... -can-data/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

TPMS

Post by Chumpcar101 »

http://www.tyrepal.co.uk they have several systems that have canbus outputs with external tpms that can be moved from tire to tire should you have to change tires during an endurance event.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent. If you can share the CAN bus technical documentation here, we can take a look at it. As with any other system you find.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

TPMS

Post by Chumpcar101 »

I will be glad to do that just give me the 30 second explanation of exactly what type of documentation your are looking for as I really have little to no knowledge of canbus language

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We would need the technical documentation describing the CAN bus communications protocol. The company should be able to provide it.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

Post by Chumpcar101 »

i will get on it asap