Is RaceAnalyzer broken with V2 data?

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

jakekooser

Is RaceAnalyzer broken with V2 data?

Post by jakekooser »

Trying to make sure I am capturing data, so I put my SD card in and tried to import the datalog, but RaceAnalyzer 1.1.15 isn't having it.

Am I missing something?
Attachments
wut.PNG
wut.PNG (48.46 KiB) Viewed 8710 times

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

nevermind, I just read that after I posted.
Note, Due to the significant changes in the firmware, the RaceCapture .rcap configuration files are not compatible with the new configuration file format
so how do we analyze the data now?

unbalancedengineering

Post by unbalancedengineering »

I'm with Jake. Is the script to translate the data to GEMS format also broken then?

Thanks,
Jason

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

The log files should work version to version. They have for me in the past anyway. .rcap is the configuration file for the hardware itself.

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

"Should" being the key word here. That is why I attached the screenshot of RaceAnalyzer saying it didn't like the data shown in Notepad++ right below it, hoping someone could tell me if it looks like something is amiss.

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

Looks like v2 firmware exports more subfields per data item..

ver 2.7.6 logfile partial header

Code: Select all

"Interval"|"ms"|0|0|1,"Utc"|"ms"|0|0|1,"Battery"|"Volts"|0.0|10.0|1,"AccelX"|"G"|0.0|0.0|10,"AccelY"|"G"|0.0|0.0|10,
old version logfile partial header

"Battery"|"Volts"|1,"AccelX"|"G"|25,"AccelY"|"G"|25,"AccelZ"|"G"|25,
not just the additional columns INTERVAL and UTC (new timestamp related fields) but more pipe-delimited datapoints - looks like the format is now name|units|min|max|rate so there are more fields to parse, for either GEMS conversion or Race Analyzer. I'm also not sure how I configured my logging for a max battery voltage of 10V.. though I've been running it at home on USB power for a while now.

Here's a few lines from the github under \include\logger\loggerConfig.h

#define DEFAULT_ADC_BATTERY_CONFIG {"Battery", "Volts", 0, 20, SAMPLE_1Hz, 2, 0}
#define DEFAULT_ACCEL_X_CONFIG    {"AccelX",   "G", -3, 3, SAMPLE_25Hz, 2, 0}
#define DEFAULT_ACCEL_Y_CONFIG    {"AccelY",   "G", -3, 3, SAMPLE_25Hz, 2, 0}
#define DEFAULT_RPM_CHANNEL_CONFIG {"RPM", "", 0, 10000, SAMPLE_DISABLED, 0, 0}
and the typedef for channel configurations -

typedef struct _ChannelConfig{
	char label[DEFAULT_LABEL_LENGTH];
	char units[DEFAULT_UNITS_LENGTH];
	float min;
	float max;
	unsigned short sampleRate;
	unsigned char precision;
	unsigned char flags;
} ChannelConfig;
Also looks like it's been that way in src/logger/loggerApi.c since October 11, ver 2.1.0 - "added min/max/precision to streaming API metadata"
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Note, RaceAnalyzer not compatible with the V2 log format. The application has been sunset and analysis features are being moved to the new RaceCapture app.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

unbalancedengineering wrote:I'm with Jake. Is the script to translate the data to GEMS format also broken then?
I poked around some (hadn't tried GEMS or the script before) and got it doing something to V2 logfiles without complaining. Some data doesn't look right - my accelerations seem really low... but it'll create a new massaged CSV, which I can open in a spreadsheet or in DLog99, so it'll save as an STF. I have no idea what I'm doing in GEMS though.. but I can get some graphs of squiggly lines in DLog.

add to sub move_time_to_first_column

if ( $array[0][$i] =~ /\bUtc\b/ ) {  # make it read v2 firmware logfile
	            $timecolumn = $i;
	    	}
and then...........

sub convert_time tries to break up the old HHMMSS.mmmuuu format using
Time::Piece->strptime to make HHMMSS into epoch seconds, then appending millisec
but since the new log format is already UTC millisec we just need to divide by 1000 and done.

my $newtime = $time / 1000;  # ver 2 firmware timestamp is UTC milliseconds already - tcm 21Jan15
	return $newtime;
Someone else is going to have to see if the numbers are reasonable in GEMS and DLOG99...
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

unbalancedengineering

Hey Brent,

I was familiar with Raceranalyzer and was expecting to use it to look at the data from the Racecapture pro. Is the Racecapture app ready for analysis? Mine says "coming soon". If not, what are we supposed to use in the mean time to look at the data?

Thanks,
Jason

unbalancedengineering

Brent?

I have data from last weekend I'd like to look at to make sure the sensors I installed are functioning correctly.

Thanks,
Jason

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Jason,

We are a couple of weeks away from getting basic analysis available in the RaceCapture app. What other customers typically do are these very popular things:

1) streaming data in real-time via http://www.race-capture.com, where they use the analysis tools on-line. This is the most popular use case.
2) Doing video overlays with RaceRender and similar programs (which is also a very popular use-case)
3) slice and dice their own data using visualization tools (excel, other analysis apps and tools)

The data visualization in RaceAnalyzer is significantly lacking in that it is not aware or laps or distance. We are adding the capabilities in the new analysis tools for the RaceCapture app to be aware of both laps and data over distance, important for race analysis.

We'll keep you updated as we go. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

unbalancedengineering

I assume option 1 requires a cell plan for the device?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There are two ways to stream real-time data: via the optional internal cellular telemetry module, or via a Bluetooth connected Android phone or an internet connected tablet.

setup instructions here:
http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro ... Quickstart
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

brentp wrote:Hi Jason,

We are a couple of weeks away from getting basic analysis available in the RaceCapture app. What other customers typically do are these very popular things:

1) streaming data in real-time via http://www.race-capture.com, where they use the analysis tools on-line. This is the most popular use case.
2) Doing video overlays with RaceRender and similar programs (which is also a very popular use-case)
3) slice and dice their own data using visualization tools (excel, other analysis apps and tools)

The data visualization in RaceAnalyzer is significantly lacking in that it is not aware or laps or distance. We are adding the capabilities in the new analysis tools for the RaceCapture app to be aware of both laps and data over distance, important for race analysis.

We'll keep you updated as we go. Thanks!
Bump because it has been a few weeks......

Streaming real time is not an option without a telemetry unit and only an iPhone.....

Might have to revert back to the last V1 firmware to get RaceAnalyzer working for data analysis.....

unbalancedengineering

Can we roll back to V1 on the new hardware? I didn't think that was an option....

I'm about ready to ditch the whole thing and go another way.... Without a way to pull the data and do real analysis, what's the point....