Silly Question - VR sensor/trigger wheel

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gt6-v8

Silly Question - VR sensor/trigger wheel

Post by gt6-v8 »

Hi, had the MJLJ running on the v8 for about 3 years now, but could only line up on 6th tooth not 5th with the bracket and wheel from trigger wheels. So settings were always 10 deg out, and adjusted accordingly in offset and bins.

Finally decided to do it properly but having issues..Hopefully someone can help.

1.redefined TDC using piston stop on Cyl 1 on compression stroke. made the two extreme marks and halved for TDC. Marked TDC and 3/6/9/12/15 btdc markings on pulley.

2. made a new bracket for the VR sensor pointing at 5th tooth when at TDC.

3. Disconnected MJLJ

4. car started no probs, but timing light shows rock steady at approx 16deg BTDC

5. re checked cyl 1 TDC and its right.

Any ideas? do i just move my VR sensor until it's showing 10, i cant think of anything else (i dont want to compensate bins this time)

cheers chaps.

Martin
Last edited by gt6-v8 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Sounds like the most logical thing to do. Makes life a lot easier afterwards when the basics are set correctly.

Alex

gt6-v8

Post by gt6-v8 »

ok thanks.
right, nearest i can do is about 11 rock solid without vac.

with mjlj back on, now i can start to redo my bins, make up a vacuum plenum box to hopefully smooth out my lumpy idle.

gt6-v8

Post by gt6-v8 »

hmm, one more stupid question....

the 10* edis static timing, is that included in the total advance?

If I set the all in wide open throttle bin to 36 degrees BTDC all in does that include the 10 degrees edis?

or should i be setting 10deg(static)+26deg(bin_value)=36 total?

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

No, 10 degrees Edis-only advance is limp-home advance. When there is no ECU attached to an Edis module or when the ECU is faulty the Edis module will fire the coilpack at 10 degrees BTD. The moment you connect an ECU this setting is overruled and the SAW-signal from the ECU takes control.

Alex

gt6-v8

thanks

Post by gt6-v8 »

Thanks again Alex!

Been fiddling with this on/off all day, my MAP was flicking between 35 / 45 Kpa all the time - so Ive used an old fuel filter to make a plenum, now its steady at 40Kpa.

Also there was a 5 degree trigger offset set in the config - removed that and now i get a matching reading with Vac disconnected using a timing gun

So timing is more or less sorted - needs a road test.

Next I need to sort out the carb settings - new post for that in the right section!

cheers

Martin