voltage regulator died...is my v3 fried??

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

vr6

voltage regulator died...is my v3 fried??

Post by vr6 »

after years of flawless operation in my golf mk1 my mjlj v3 has died. investigation shows 8.9v output from the LF50 regulator and a hot MC908KX , there is no communication with the laptop.....timeout error. the board shows no sign of burning or damaged tracksi hope the ST232 is dead and not the entire board. any further checks i can do to rule out ic faults...thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If the processor is hot then that is not a good sign. I would try replacing the LF50 regulator and verifying a 5.0v operation. The processor may come back to life.

Let us know what more you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

vr6

Post by vr6 »

Better late than never.....further investigation , i have a 12v supply from the fuse box as a main feed for a relay that is switched by the user outputs to operate the cooling fan so the fan shuts off when the engine is not running, this saves the battery after shut off as the temp. sensor is not located in the rad. however when reinstalling the engine i connected this 12v supply directly to the user output from the mjlj, :shock: ......the newer megajolt/e with cranking advance is the bees knees.. :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

\o/ Glad it's working for you!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter