Formula Dash Update?

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

loftygoals

Formula Dash Update?

Post by loftygoals »

Any word on how this project is progressing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irkbher9EX0

I'm excited about this!

-bj

xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

following

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

We're still working on it and making progress with our development hardware! We'll have more information later this year.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

rdoherty wrote:We're still working on it and making progress with our development hardware! We'll have more information later this year.
Ryan, can you tell me how the formula dash will connect to the RCP? In brief, if I'm ordering the RCP2 right now, should I buy the Bluetooth module?

Alan

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Alan, Formula Dash will be CAN based, so no need to buy a bluetooth module to connect to it.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

mrldcty

Post by mrldcty »

Can I get dimensions for this dash? I'm just finishing up a new dash for my race car and if this is close enough to completion, I might want to take dimensions into consideration so I can incorporate this into my dash to replace the android device I'm currently designing around.

Thanks!
Wayne
Spec Racer Ford #40

mrldcty

Post by mrldcty »

Can I get dimensions for this dash? I'm just finishing up a new dash for my race car and if this is close enough to completion, I might want to take dimensions into consideration so I can incorporate this into my dash to replace the android device I'm currently designing around.

Thanks!
Wayne
Spec Racer Ford #40

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Count on approximately a 6x5" area for the unit. Might be smaller or larger.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ushgeo

Post by ushgeo »

The last post on this was in June. Can you provide a recent update on the progress with the dash? I am ready to pull the trigger on RCP but will wait on picking up an external device if this gadget is imminent. Thanks.
NASA GTS3 Racing
2000 Porsche 996 Ex Grand Am Series Race Car
2005 Porsche 997 C2S - Atlas Grey - R.I.P.
2012 Audi S4 Prestige - Sold
2006 BMW 330i Sport - Sold

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The formula dash is currently on hiatus. We're putting much energy into the current app, including additional dashboard and analysis features- especially with the advent of high performance, affordable android technology such as the $49.95 kindle fire.

Thanks for checking in.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ushgeo

Post by ushgeo »

brentp wrote:Hi,

The formula dash is currently on hiatus. We're putting much energy into the current app, including additional dashboard and analysis features- especially with the advent of high performance, affordable android technology such as the $49.95 kindle fire.

Thanks for checking in.
Thanks for the update Brent. That's disappointing to hear about the dash but I am glad to hear that the app is getting upgraded. Are you aware of any tablets, etc that support direct connection to RCP via USB?
NASA GTS3 Racing
2000 Porsche 996 Ex Grand Am Series Race Car
2005 Porsche 997 C2S - Atlas Grey - R.I.P.
2012 Audi S4 Prestige - Sold
2006 BMW 330i Sport - Sold

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The android app is currently Bluetooth only. Do you have any specific concerns about Bluetooth connectivity?

We have worked very hard to make the connection fast and stable - We just tested with 6 RaceCapture devices over a 15 hour enduro race weekend, not a single glitch. With a good quality tablet (Samsung, LG, Google Nexus and even the $49.95 fire tablet) you'll get great results.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

loftygoals

Post by loftygoals »

The guys at Autosport Labs can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Windows version will connect via USB. Assuming I'm correct, you could build a Windows based display.

Using something like this: http://www.mini-box.com/CarPC-VoomPC2-A ... egory=1543

Then add whatever size touch screen display you like.

The interesting thing about this approach is that the PC's like I've linked above have a power supply designed for automotive applications that will automatically suspend and recover system state as the ignition is cycled on and off.

You could additionally use the PC for built in diagnostics. This way you'd never have to pull the laptop out to check a code or even flash a different tune to the ECU.

You could even use a system like this to build a bridge between a non-CAN bus OBD2 car (or even an OBD1 car) and RCP for data logging.

That's part of the beauty of RCP, the possibilities are endless!

-bj

loftygoals

Post by loftygoals »

Here's a monitor that would work with the system I linked above:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V45U39S

It is 12V so it could be direct powered from the car.

Then add a wireless keyboard/touch pad like this for use in the pits:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... B005DKZTMG

-bj

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can also use a Microsoft surface with a USB connection and use that as a dash, although it's not the most cost effective and compact solution.

The primary caveat is to secure the USB connection so the USB plug does not come loose in high vibration environments.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter