Status of native GEMS export in V2?

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

loftygoals

Status of native GEMS export in V2?

Post by loftygoals »

Has there been any progress in the export to GEMS format from the V2 applications? I ask because NASA doesn't allow real time telemetry in Performance Touring (PT), Super Touring (ST), or Time Trials (TT) if it is communicating directly or indirectly with the ECU, regardless of the direction of communications. This makes it impossible for me to utilize the cellular data function.

Thus I am stuck with Excel or writing a script to transform the data until V2 does it.

Thanks,
-bj

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

I tweaked on the perl script a week or so ago (posted in a different thread here), and I think it works with the new V2 format... not a wiz on GEMS though so I don't know what I"m looking for other than different squiggly lines. :) I ended up running the perl script on a linux install on VirtualBox, then copying the massaged file back out to the Windows side. Lots of hoops to get from here to there, and not something you'd want to do during a tires-and-fuel pitstop, but it can be done.
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

loftygoals

Post by loftygoals »

Thanks for the update to the script. It's been about a decade since I've done any serious Perl development, myself. I could see regular expressions being quite useful in text conversion like this, but I wouldn't remember how to use them. I think there were lots of backslashes...or were the forward slashes?

Brent P. had stated in another thread that they were going to be offering a built in GEMS export function. I'm willing to jump through hoops, but my customers aren't. I would love to recommend and support RaceKeeper to my race and track customers, but until there is a simple to use full fledged analysis client it won't be possible.

Autosport Labs is doing great work with the product. I know they are adding analysis features to the Race Capture app, but it doesn't seem feasible that the first few releases will be anywhere as feature complete as the GEMS Software.

-bj

TheArchBish

Post by TheArchBish »

I hacked the script to work with the latest version of RCP as well. Loads ok and I can do analysis but has anyone had any luck getting GEMS to recognize the lap data. I read the GEMS manual and it seems to want some beacon codes in the file but i don't know how i might do that.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for tweaking the pearl script (will get the repository updated)

We're also going to re-create the script in Python, for eventual integration into the RC App.

The way it'll work when we release our first batch of in-app analysis is:

1) import one or more data logs into app
2) export as file - one of which will be the GEMS format.

This feature is being actively worked on, eta is a few weeks away for a first draft.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

loftygoals

Post by loftygoals »

brentp wrote:The way it'll work when we release our first batch of in-app analysis is:

1) import one or more data logs into app
2) export as file - one of which will be the GEMS format.

This feature is being actively worked on, eta is a few weeks away for a first draft.
I must not have had a subscription setup for this thread. This is perfect! Thanks for integrating this into the app!

-bj

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Working on it and other amazing things! :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

unbalancedengineering

Post by unbalancedengineering »

Any update on this option for data export?

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The in-app analysis and export features which will include file exports. Your best option right now is to use the Python or Perl conversion script for current log files see: https://github.com/autosportlabs/RCP2GEMS

There's also a discussion thread in the forums as well on the topic.

This is a combined / unified effort including the initiative to get the Android beta app into full production mode - for a completely unified experience - dashboard, configuration and analysis. Check out the recent blog posts discussing the activity so far:

http://www.autosportlabs.com/blog/

Finally - and this is pretty cool - we're soon offering the ability to upload data log files off line to http://www.race-capture.com - making the analysis tools available there as well.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter