Dashboard feature questions (bluetooth latency, direct USB?)

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

dotframe

Dashboard feature questions (bluetooth latency, direct USB?)

Post by dotframe »

I've been testing out a dash mount setup with a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet.

With Android 5.1.1 installed I found the screen to be super laggy (video recorded in 60FPS) https://youtu.be/M306cFUpsOY

I suspected the Nexus performance to be the problem so I rooted it and installed a Slim ROM. That helped some but I still notice some lag in the tach. Sorry I didn't get a follow up video yet. From what I read online bluetooth typically has a response time of around 150ms. I think this might be the lag I'm seeing but I'm not really sure.

Anyone else using the dashboard feature real time? If so are you noticing any lag in the tach? If not, what tablet are you using?

Also I was wondering if it is possible to connect directly to the RCP MK1 via USB on Android?

My last question is around the configuration of the dashboard shift bar view. I don't see a way to setup the warnings for this view. I'm guessing the max RPM comes from the channel config but what about warnings?

finse

Re: Dashboard feature questions (bluetooth latency, direct U

Post by finse »

dotframe wrote:I've been testing out a dash mount setup with a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet.

With Android 5.1.1 installed I found the screen to be super laggy (video recorded in 60FPS) https://youtu.be/M306cFUpsOY

I suspected the Nexus performance to be the problem so I rooted it and installed a Slim ROM. That helped some but I still notice some lag in the tach. Sorry I didn't get a follow up video yet. From what I read online bluetooth typically has a response time of around 150ms. I think this might be the lag I'm seeing but I'm not really sure.

Anyone else using the dashboard feature real time? If so are you noticing any lag in the tach? If not, what tablet are you using?
I just started testing out my tablet/dash today. I don't recall exactly which model tablet I have in the car for testing (galaxy s2?). It's also pretty laggy in the gauge screen. Tomorrow I'll test it on the screen with all of the parameters and see if it lags there as well. I'm seeing lag across multiple gauges, including rpm. My permanent install is going to be a 2013 nexus 7, so let's solve this problem :)
dotframe wrote: Also I was wondering if it is possible to connect directly to the RCP MK1 via USB on Android?
I'm also wondering about this, for the MK2. At the very least it would be good to know if a direct connection also lagged.

dotframe

Post by dotframe »

PROGRESS!!

So I tested out 1.3.8 and the gauges are now practically real time! Fantastic!

I just went for a test drive and when using the view with all the round gauges everything works incredibly fast now.

One question I had was if the segmented tachometer on the page with current laptime info (see attachment) should also have the same improvements? It still seems a bit sluggish and that will likely be my default view for the track (along with the 3 stage led lights).
Attachments
image1 (1).JPG
image1 (1).JPG (101.67 KiB) Viewed 1215 times

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi dotframe, glad to hear the latest release is faster for you! Yes, you are correct, the combined tach+timing view is still slow, we have it on our todo list to update that view too.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs