TIM + Racetech Rev counter issue

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

benny boy

TIM + Racetech Rev counter issue

Post by benny boy »

Hi all,

My MJ v3.3.2 is working well on the sprint/hillclimb mini.

I bought a Racetech rev counter to replace my TIM cheapy rev counter (running with the zener diode circuit from the install guide) that was bouncing quite a bit.

I've never been able to get the Racetech working with either the direct tacho out from MJ pin 8, or the zener diode circuit, or an NPN Transistor/resistor circuit that someone suggested on a Licost forum..

Can anyone recommend a fix to get the Racetech working or (if all else fails) a rev counter that works directly from the MJ pin 8 tach output?

Many thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Benny,

Did you ever get this working? Most modern aftermarket tachometers *should* work with the Megajolt system.

Or, if you want something classic, you can use a old-school Porsche 914 tach. It'll work with the diode circuit with bleed resistors across. (See our TachX module)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

EnosBlinn

Post by EnosBlinn »

Can you please specify clearly that what you want to achieve? I mean what circuit you are looking for and for which purpose?
If you already have a circuit then please post a schematic of it also.
Also specify all the components you are using in your circuit?
Last edited by EnosBlinn on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benny boy

Post by benny boy »

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Ultimately, all I want is a tacho that works (pref with little extra circuitry that might go wrong in future) when I go through scrutineering noise checks!

Because neither rev counters now work :-/ what is the best way to ensure I am getting a good tacho output from the MJ?

(I appreciate an obvious answer is 'a rev counter', but there seem to be so many differing additional circuit solutions for getting differing rev counters to work with MJ)!

My shift light works as it should - that is a different output to the tacho, but I suppose that indicates the MJ unit is getting a good signal to it...

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can't get the tach output working on the Megajolt, you can also tap into the coil pack signal using a diode circuit.

http://autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicl ... achometers

You can also use the EDIS-4's IDM signal as an alternative source.

So, about 3 options you can employ in total.

Let us know how it works!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter