Can't Load Firmware on Windows 10

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

loftygoals

Can't Load Firmware on Windows 10

Post by loftygoals »

It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to work with my Race Capture Pro MK2. So tonight I decided to get it updated. Since the last time I connected to my RCP v2 with a Windows machine I've replaced my laptop with a new Windows 10 laptop. So here's what I did:
  • Downloaded and installed RaceCapture App for Windows v1.3.7
  • Downloaded the v2.0.0 drivers
  • Configured Windows 10 to allow unsigned drivers
  • Plugged in the RCP via USB and updated drivers to the RaceCapture Pro driver
  • Downloaded Firmware 2.8.4
  • Followed instructions in App to update firmware
It fails saying Unable to locate bootloader.

I also tried exiting the app, putting RPC in bootloader mode (plugging it in to USB with the button pushed), starting the app and trying to load the firmware while ignoring the instructions to unplug and enable bootloader mode.

I also verified that I am getting the flashing red LED, indicating that I'm in bootloader mode.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-bj

loftygoals

Post by loftygoals »

Update:

I also have a second laptop that has Windows 10. No joy from that device either.

I do have my Primary Windows 10 laptop configured to dual boot Windows XP for some legacy applications. I decided to try the firmware upgrade in XP. I downloaded and installed the same software: RaceCapture App 1.3.7, Drivers 2.0.0 and firmware 2.8.4.

On the same laptop that failed in Win10, the firmware upgrade worked in WinXP. The only issue I had was after the upgrade, the App reported the RCP version as 0.0.0 even after a disconnect and reconnect. After closing the app and reopening, it correctly reported v2.8.4.

So it looks like there might be a driver issue that can't be worked around in Windows 10.

A Note:

In Windows 10, the default USB Serial driver worked fine for reading and updating the configuration. The Unsigned RaceCapture Pro driver also worked for these functions. It seems to be only connecting to the RCP in bootloader mode that is problematic.

In Windows 10, with both the native and RCP drivers Windows 10 did detect the RCP when in bootloader mode and assigned a COM port.

-bj

adam

Post by adam »

I had this same issue, I switched to a Win 7 machine and I was then able to update firmware. Must be a windows 10 thing

danny325is

Post by danny325is »

same for me on windows 10

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We'll be double checking this on windows 10. Thanks for your patience.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter