Track Map Not Recognized

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

dimondjack

Track Map Not Recognized

Post by dimondjack »

I raced at Lime Rock last weekend and the auto track map seemed to work intermittently. It didn't work for the first two stints (though the GPS dot was in the right spot) , and then worked on the third stint, and then didn't work again on the 4th stint. The unit gets reset every time we have to cycle power to start, but it acquired GPS quickly.

When the track wasn't recognized lap times and predictive lap timing didn't work. I set the track to manual mode for the second day and the system worked flawlessly.

So, what causes the system to know what track it is at for one stint and not the rest? I'd like to use the pre-programmed track maps if possible, but I can't risk the lap times not working. Is there a trick to make sure they are reliable?

adam

Post by adam »

I have this problem as well. Am not finding the lap timer to be as reliable as I would have liked.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi guys, sorry to hear the track detection didn't work. We have a small fix in our next firmware release that should help RCP detect the track it is at.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

dimondjack, what firmware version were you on when you experienced this problem?

There is a pre-programmed radius for detecting the current track and from feedback, the radius might be too tight at 1KM, We're expanding that to 5KM.

Also, in case you're not aware, the app's status page shows the track detection status.

The 2.8.5 release will contain this update; keep an eye on the software page for that release. Thanks for your patience!

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

I had downloaded the newest firmware right before going to the race. I believe it was 2.8.3 for Mk1.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Give it a shot with the latest firmware and let us know. the 2.8.5 firmware which is coming out shortly should help; it expands the detection radius from 1 to 5km, in case you were pitted really far away from the target.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also, our latest app (1.3.13) available in google play store will show the track detection status in the top. We know how important lap timing is, so we dedicated a spot in the toolbar for this information.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

Good to know. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it until I'm at a track again next year!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

If you're curious, you can also do some basic tests around the block in your street car and manually set a start/finish point. That will let you do some test laps.

Let us know if we can help with anything else. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter