RCP2 failing with no usage, Amazon app

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Katmeho

RCP2 failing with no usage, Amazon app

Post by Katmeho »

Have a fast flashing error light on a new RCP2 device. Initially setup with a Mac with 1.3.13, flashed to firmware 2.8.5 with no issues. Loaded tracks, made configuration changes, tested OBD2 in car, tested GPS in car...all good. Shelf for 1 week, power up and rapid flashing error. Changes= added Bluetooth telemetry module, added Amazon Fire to mix with app from Amazon store, connected RCP2 to bluetooth and solid green on bluetooth adapter. (BTW if we get this working OMG its going to be perfect when analysis goes live...no more laptops at the track and the Amazon fire at $50 is easily replaceable commodity hardware, perfect for the track)

Tried resetting with power on and holding log button, no luck. Device is dead and non responsive.

Plugged RCP2 back into the Mac wi OS X 10.10.5, open Race Capture app...searching, searching searching....help. I really hope this is a fluke and not the norm with the hardware, I love what you guys are doing...

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

Please help? :cry:

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

Katmeho wrote:Please help? :cry:
Have you tried emailing [email protected] ?
Josh

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

I did this morning, they got back to me right away. The support pages say hit this forum so I was tryin to play by the rules, we are working on a fix now.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Katmeho,

When you say 'rapid flashing error' are you saying the RCP is flashing the red LED rapidly and continuously? Similar to the bootloader mode when you hold down the button and plug it in?

Try this:

Try using the app to flash new firmware again and see if it takes. If it does not start up normally (e.g. you can connect via desktop) try this:

Flash to an older 2.7.x firmware https://autosportlabs-software.s3-us-we ... _2.7.9.zip
Then flash back to latest firmware: https://autosportlabs-software.s3-us-we ... _2.8.5.zip

Bouncing between 2.7.x and 2.8.x will trigger a factory configuration reset.

Let us know what you find out. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

Upon trying to load older firmware, I get "Failed to Load Firmware: Error flashing device, no response!"

Same results when holding in the button using the instructions on firmware.txt

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. Can you characterize what you meant by "rapid flashing error"? from my last question?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

The red light below the SIM card slot is flashing red non stop whenever the unit has power.

Tried to load a firmware again after pressing the log start button and got a new error
"Failed to load firmware: Error validating flash on device. Upgrade failed"

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. When you load firmware, does it actually go through the 0-100% process, then fail with the 'validation' error?

Also, was this ever connected to 12v or was this always with USB power?

Thanks again for working through this.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

The last time I ran the update it got to 100% but then said it couldn't validate the flash. 3 other times it never made it to 100%.

The device today has been connected only to USB. But before I started having failures, I did have it connected via the OBD2 port (which is 12v right?) That was the last time it worked.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. thanks. So the other times it was getting part way up to 100%. Was this *just* on USB this recent time you tried updating firmware?

(edit) I see what you wrote.

Did you have any low battery / cranking issues when you had it connected via OBD-II?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also, when connected via OBD-II, do you also get the red flashing light? If it's not convenient to test, not critical to find out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

No low battery or cranking issues to the best of my knowledge. Car is new. Not able to test USB connectivity at this moment.