OBDII Power Always Available

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

imstimpy

OBDII Power Always Available

Post by imstimpy »

I'm currently exploring installation options. I just plugged my OBD cable into the car and the unit powered right up. The car was off, though, which tells me the car is providing OBDII even when off.

If I wire the unit into switched power over the +12V terminal block is the unit smart enough to sense it as a trigger? How are people controlling power if they are plugged into the OBD terminal? Can I power the unit exclusively over OBD power?

imstimpy

Post by imstimpy »

For now, I'm going to just disconnect the OBD connect when the RCP is not in use. When I have more time, I will disassemble the RCP to see if I can put a switch across the power. If there is no place for that, I will cut up the OBD cable and put a switch in line.

I'm a little confused that nobody has discussed this or that constant power would not be viable for many installations.

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

I powered my RCP exclusively with OBD over the last year. I mounted my unit using one of the seat bolts under the driver's side seat. Then ran an OBD2 extension cable to it along the door sill trim. I unplugged the extension cable from the RCP OBD2 cable when I didn't want it to be powered.

As a side note, I did have a few instance where the RJ45 connector shifted around during a run and lost connection, ending the recording. For the upcoming season, I'll probably run a dedicated power source from a 12v outlet for redundancy.
Josh