Battery voltage incorrect

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

torkey

Battery voltage incorrect

Post by torkey »

Not sure what is going on. RCP was working great until this weekend. It's an intermittent problem where the battery voltage on the display goes to 17.49 volts. When I test the voltage with the multi meter it says it's 14.2. Also the MAP sensor goes to 28 psi when the battery goes to 17. I've checked the grounds and connections and they all seems good. Any ideas what could cause this?

stieg

Post by stieg »

Hey torkey,

Hrmm... tough one. Lots of things can cause voltage spikes in a vehicle. Is there any sort of consistent time when you are seeing the spikes (say under high revs)? I wonder if the regulator on your alternator is peeing the bed a bit. Any trends you may have noticed are key to debugging. Let us know.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

torkey

Post by torkey »

Definitely not the alternator. The voltage is at 14.2 but AutosportLabs reports 17.4. I found what was causing the problem. It was the thermocouple amplifier. When I unplug it everything returns to normal. I have a new amplifier on the way.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

keep us posted on what you find out. Is this RCP MK1 or MK2?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter