DIY ride height sensor

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

madjak

DIY ride height sensor

Post by madjak »

Due to limited options and me liking excuses to 3D print parts I figured I'd make myself some ride height sensors.

My plan is to use an off-the-shelf potentiometer and make a simple housing and mounting bracket. Connecting the pot to the suspension will be a simple lever arm and 'push rod' connected somewhere on the suspension arm, hub or sway bar mount. If I get the correct ratios the arm should rotate the pot 60-80 degrees to give a 2v variation.

Here is my design:

Here is my prototype 3D print:

I'll get it all mounted up on the car and test it out over the next few weeks.[/img]

turtlesharkshooter

Post by turtlesharkshooter »

Nice design. How did the sensor work out for you?

madjak

Post by madjak »

I haven't mounted it to the car yet... been busy on other things.

The sensor itself works fine, I get a variable voltage based on angle, it's just a matter of making some brackets to mount to the suspension.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is fantastic. How's it working for you?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

stieg

Post by stieg »

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. May be wise to use LUA here to do the calculations since you will want to calculate the height based on the sin of the angle. With 2.9.0 firmware you will be able to make use of high rate Lua calculations to help with this.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.