Serial data?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Thanks brent, but I need a little more help then that, I'm real good with the mecanical side of a car, but the electronics confuse me.

The wiki is for a kpro 4. I have a kpro 2. Is it the same for the script?

How do I connect the kpro to the rcp?

And also, I connected the rpm signal from the e26 wire to the rpm1 of the rcp, but I don't get any readings.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Correct, this is for a CAN bus enabled version of the KPro. Are you able to upgrade your KPro system to CAN bus?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

If I have to I will.

Until then, do you have a idea why I can't get a rpm signal?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

For the serial interface - we have the tools to do it with the auxiliary serial port and the scripting interface; if you want to go that route, getting someone to help you do the interface while being hands-on with your actual equipment could be a great project for them.

Most of our integrations are like that - contributed by the community, as we don't always have access to the equipment to test directly, nor do we always have the ability to do it ourselves. It's crowdsourcing and the power of the community, baby!

Given that, the path of least resistance for you might be to just upgrade to a CAN-enabled KPro. From the reports we've heard, the performance is very good.

Now, for your RPM input - assuming you have the wire connected to RPM input 1, which is the connection on the far end of the terminal block.

How do you have your timer / RPM channel configured?
Have you verified you're getting a signal on that line, presumably with an oscilloscope?
Do you see any reading on the dashboard, or is it just zero?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

I would love to be able to fab the interface my self, but I lack the knowlage. I could build it physically, I juste need to know what to plug where on what or know what to look for.

For my rpm, yes I connected it to rpm 1 with many combination of settings and I get no reading.

I just figured that my rcp was in another car befor with obdII enabled, I will check if it is still on.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you also have OBD-II reading for RPM, that may conflict with the timer RPM channel. try deleting that OBD-II channel if it's defined.

You can also name one RPM and RPM2, so the names are different.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Ok, obd2 was enabled and I disabled it. No change, I only get a 0. I will try to scope the signal, but it is the first time that I use that tool. I have a DSO NANO, can you give me a little crash course?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Pretty easy with the Nano - just put one terminal to ground, and the other on the input to RCP, and see if there's anything showing up on the screen.

You'd then likely need to change the time scale to account for faster or slower signals.

The DSO nano also has a signal generator - you switch the plug to the other socket - that will output a signal. Could be useful to have the 'scope generate a signal that RCP can test!

-Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Ok, so i decided to upgrade my kpro to get can bus.

What do I need to connect the kpro and the rcp via can bus?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Easiest way to do it is to get a common RJ45 Ethernet cable and cut one end off. The CAN High and CAN low wires can be connected to the wiring harness provided by Hondata (see their docs).

Guide for wiring:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_Integration

From what I understand, the Hondata harness connects to the pin headers on the white board as seen in this picture:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Hondata_KPro4

I think you'll be pleased with the Hondata CAN integration; we've worked extensively with another customer to refine the integration. Let us know how it goes!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Thanks Brent for your patience and fast replys. I really wish I could figure this out by my self.

On the hondata docs, I see that in the MoTec dash CAN wiring, it is asked to:
CAN Setup
• Wire the MoTeC dash CANH and CANL to the KPro4 CANH & CANL pins.
• Install a 120 ohm resistor between CANH and CANL.

Do you think the resistor required for the RCP?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Yes the resistor is required. We've updated the KPro4 documentation to reflect that:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Hondata_KPro4
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Update,

New Kpro4 is installed, script in RCP and working, but I can't seem to get any CAN signal. I have check the wiring, installed the 120 ohms between CANH and CANL.

Just to make sure, connect CANH from RCP to CANH from KPro, connect CANL from RCP to CANL from KPro and put the 120 ohms between both connection?

I did activate the Multiplexer setting in KManager and set it to Hondata protocal 250kbps for Canbus output.

CAN bus in RCP app is enabled and CAN 1 is set to 250k.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

According to their documentation, the 120 ohm resistor needs to be on the KPro end.

For troubleshooting:

1) CAN you can try the CAN logger script:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger

This dumps any raw CAN bus data to the logging console, just to verify you have connectivity. be sure to update the baud rate.

2) Double check connections on the RJ45 plug, and test continuity all the way between one end and the other, using a meter.

3) Ensure both units are grounded properly, ideally using a star grounding technique where both grounds go to the same point on the chassis.

4) talk to Hondata to ensure you've properly enabled CAN data on the KPro unit.

Let us know what you find out!

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Thanks Brent,

Turn out I used a cable that was lying around in a drawer and guess what, it was in there for a reason and I used the bad half of it. :oops:

Installed the other half and now everything works.

I will do a little tweaking in the script to fit my needs.

I have attached a screen shot of the KManager setup and can be added to the wiki if you want.
Attachments
KManager.jpg
KManager.jpg (94.98 KiB) Viewed 10810 times