Question: micro-SD extension cable

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mikebr75

Question: micro-SD extension cable

Post by mikebr75 »

Hello,

quick question about installation. I am putting my RCP 2 behind the 'dash' of my car so it is not immediately accessible. I would like to add an extension cable for the microSD slot so I can remove the card without having to pull/reach behind the dash.

I've tried the ribbon style extension cable and for whatever reason it appears incompatible with the RCP. Without the cable the logger writes to the SD card just fine, but with the cable the red error light illuminates whenever logging and no log files are written.

I imagine the problem is from the male end of the extension cable: it does not securely lock into the SD slot on the RCP - not like an actual SD card. Is there an alternative cable someone could recommend? Or should I modify the male connector on the extension cable to more correctly act like an SD card and lock in place?

TIA

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

Have you tried a different extension?

It doesn't help you but one thing I asked for a long time ago was a way to get the log files from within the RaceCapture application. I still wish that feature was implemented.

mikebr75

Post by mikebr75 »

gizmodo wrote:Have you tried a different extension?
yes, I have tried 2 of the same style extension cable (different lengths).
gizmodo wrote:It doesn't help you but one thing I asked for a long time ago was a way to get the log files from within the RaceCapture application. I still wish that feature was implemented.
agreed, it would be a good fix for my problem if I could just wirelessly download the log files after a session. Guess I'll add my voice to the feature request thread.

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Hi - Did you guys come up with a solution for this or find an extension that works?
Get in, Hold on , Shut up & pass me my Beer!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The extension may not work due to the length of the wires going to the remote SD card - the high speed signals require a very short connection.

However, we are working on a way to record on the fly from bluetooth (or wifi) from RaceCapture to the app, bypassing the direct need for SD card logging, and you'll be able to review data instantly in the app.

Watch for this in the 1.7.0 app!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter