Melted RJ45 Connector

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

TH

Melted RJ45 Connector

Post by TH »

Hello,

Has anyone else experienced a melted RJ45 connector on the expansion port? My installation does have a 12V power source wired into a cigarette lighter plug. I occasionally connect to the RaceCapture2 powered by USB only (ignition switch off, 12V jack has no power). I run three analog 0-5V pressure sensors, three resistive temp sensors (pulled up with 2.2K), and GPS antenna.

I often move the installation from car to car, but I usually don't usually unplug the expansion port connector. While installing to an engine dyno today, I was inspecting all of the connections. I haven't powered it up yet to see if everything is functional, but I suspect its been like this for a while and I've been using the RaceCapture without issue with a melted RJ45 connector.

Cheers,
Tyler

Attachments
IMG_9165.jpg
IMG_9165.jpg (124.01 KiB) Viewed 4033 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

RaceCapture has 12v and ground connected internally to the 12v and ground on the terminal block.

What could've happened is that it might have tried to indirectly powering a circuit by back-driving power through the RJ45, with current coming from the terminal block.

Do you have power connected to the terminal block, separately from the RJ45 port? what RJ45 cable is that shown?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

TH

Post by TH »

Hi Brent,

I do have a cigarette lighter plug adapter wired to the terminal strip. The RJ45 connector pictured is on the OBDII cable that was included in my RaceCapture kit. Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,
Tyler