Tire pyrometer array & brake disc temp sensor idea

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

cyotani

Post by cyotani »

I built a DIY IR tire temps system using 12 MLX90614 sensors and an arduino to read the sensors and output the data to a Racecapture via the CAN bus. LUA scripting sure is nice. Video below is an early version of the project.

I clocked it at 50Hz sample rate via CAN bus. I still need to do more testing but am planning to sell some "hobby level" kits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmF4NAvybM4

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

Nice, you beat me to it! :D

I haven't even started on mine yet...long story but the car I'm putting all of this on has been a complete disaster, requiring all-new engine management and ignition systems before even breaking the new engine in.

cyotani

Post by cyotani »

GameboyRMH wrote:Nice, you beat me to it! :D

I haven't even started on mine yet...long story but the car I'm putting all of this on has been a complete disaster, requiring all-new engine management and ignition systems before even breaking the new engine in.
Sorry to hear. My car had an engine blow on me too putting me back on testing for the tire temp stuff.

I had a head start tho since I built one for my old FSAE team using LabView so I just had to redo it for the arduino and add CAN.

DavidNJ

Post by DavidNJ »

This contact sensor is only $1000 and covers a range to 1800°F which should alert the team to brake temp problems.

The temp paint is a course indicator but doesn't tell where the on the track the problem is or how the heat capacitance and cooling interact.

jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Has anyone else built one of these?

I just built a proof of concept board with 4 MLX90614's and will be sending the data via can to an RCP. Im currently using arduino hardware polling the sensors via i2c and have verified everything via serial output.

Has anyone used something more powerfull than a single or dual zone thermopile? Ive recently found that 8x4 to 8x8 thermopile array's are just as inexpensive as a single sensing unit and was thinking of trying one out once i have a completed unit using the sensors I already have

jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

following up, i got the hardware talking to the rcp via can. right now i am logging at 20 frames a sec on 3 sensors and see no reason it wont work with 12 sensors.