What is the status of RCP Analysis?

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, we found the problem immediately. It looks like you disabled LapTime in your configuration. The analysis feature currently depends on the existence of this channel. We've logged an issue to track fixing this.

What type of data log was this? Was it on a circuit, or were you doing a stationary test?

I'm looking to patch your log file so you can at least import it.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A patched log file can be downloaded here:

http://dropcanvas.com/27zzy

You had a number of channels disabled that analysis currently relies upon- LapTime, LapCount, CurrentLap, Distance, Speed, Latitude, Longitude.

I would recommend, for now, to enable all GPS channels and enable the RaceTiming option in configuration so you can import new datalogs successfully.

When you import this data, switch to viewing data by time so you can see this data.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tom.armstrong

Post by tom.armstrong »

Hi Brent

Thank you for taking a look at the file, had an issue downloading the fixed file but this turned out to be my works computer not playing nice.
All woorks fine now
I am unsure why we had GPS disabled but I think it may have been bench testing, we will keep it on from now on.
The data is from Formula Student UK, the track is ad-hoc and as such there is no track map. We will set manual start stop in the future.

Thanks again for the help.

Tom

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We're excited to ready a major improvement to the RaceCapture App: In-app logging and instant analysis. It's coming in the 1.7.5 app - I'll follow up with the official blog post when it's available!

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

I received the e-mail notification :D blog post is here:
https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... 5-is-here/

Might just convince me to buy a Android tablet to take advantage of this new functionality!

One small request, for those of us who autoX, we have to manually set start and finish GPS coordinates. Would it be possible to use the app to upload latest config, disconnect from RCPro, walk over to the start/finish and register those points, then back to car, connect and upload those GPS coords?

Surely there is an Android API to get GPS coordinates from the tablet device.....

Meanwhile the workaround is to download a GPS coordinates app which shows current location, walk over to the start and finish, grab those GPS coordinates, write them down and go back to the car and update the config. (They kind of sort of frown upon bringing your car to the start/finish line except when you're up for your run....)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - thanks for checking it out. And yes, it could be possible, we have an issue to track it here:

https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... issues/531

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Thoroughly enjoying the new analysis features. Since I have been getting my car on an actual track more this year (instead of autocross), I have had a little opportunity to play with it some more.

A couple of suggestions for future versions (these are based on my experience with 1.6, I haven't had a chance to try 1.7.3).

1. The software has come a long way, but currently it feels like it was designed for a mobile devise, and the PC was an afterthought. I get that mobile is the wave of the future, but PC's still have their place as well. As is it is very hard to scroll the menus with a mouse without accidentally clicking on something. A more usable scroll bar, or better yet the ability to scroll with the mouse wheel would be a big help.

2. Automatically rounding time dependent values to match the logging frequency of data they represent would be a nice touch. Just so you don't think you have more precision than you actually do. For example, showing lap times to three decimal places (.xxx seconds) when it is based on a 10hz (.x seconds) GPS signal.

3. Improve track detection / the ability to specify a track, specifically for tracks that have multiple configurations. More details on that in my post here: viewtopic.php?t=4807

Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Alex for the feedback.

Regarding mobile - it is definitely mobile oriented, or more accurately - touch screen oriented - and the trend with laptops is to add touch screen displays, which work spectacularly well with the app.

Also, you actually can use the mouse scroll wheel on all of the scrolling menu items. Most laptops enable the equivalent of the scroll wheel via a two finger swipe, or swiping down the right side of the track pad.

* We're working to improve track detection, I described it in that forum post you linked.

* 1.7.6 is the latest app version with many improvements to analysis - make sure you're up to date! :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Thanks Brent!

One other minor thing that I was going to mention and forgot to (this one should be relativly easy). It would be nice if the colors matched between the track map portion of the analysis and the graph portion. For example, if you have two laps overlayed, you are looking at four different colors (two on the map, two on the graph). Makes it a little hard to keep track of which lap is which.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Actually, we don't do that on purpose. Why? Because you can select more than one channel to display in the chart per lap - and each line needs it's own color.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Hmm, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of. 90% of the time I am just looking at speed, so it seemed like too many colors. I wonder if it might be more clear to have one main color selected for each lap, and then various shades for different data channels? Might be tough to distinguish more than a few data channels that way, but for those first few, it could be very clear which ones are associated with each other / with a certain lap.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Maybe coincidentally color match the laps for the first channel selected?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Yeah, that would probably work.

Another thing I have noticed, when you select a channel to overlay on the map (for example, color shading to display lateral g), it scales the color bars based on the max range of the sensor, rather than the max range of the data. So if your data peaks at say 1.2g out of a 3g sensor range, you don't end up with much color variation on the actual overlay. Instead of the displayed colors varying from green to yellow to red you end up with the display ranging from green to greenish yellow, which isn't very useful.

Sorry, I'm just full of comments lately:)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

More analysis improvements in the latest 1.8.0 app!

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... ack-magic/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Shiftlink

Post by Shiftlink »

It would be cool if the RCP app had a feature to export session data in *.stf format ready to go for viewing in GEMS. That would lend to more flexibility when trying to overlay laps between drivers and from one session to the next.

Most club racers that I know are not looking to buy cell phone service for their data systems, they just want to pull the card and put it on their laptop and compare with their friends.

Streamlining that process would go a long long way to making RCP a very strong option in this market.