Android head unit for use with RaceCapture App

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

rigamaroo

Android head unit for use with RaceCapture App

Post by rigamaroo »

Hi everyone. I'm looking for suggestions on which Android head units people have had positive experiences with in regards to integration with the Racecapture app. Or if there are any Android head units which are known to not work well that would be good information as well. I have an Evo X and Ive seen some plug and play options for my car from the Chinese manufaturers, I'm just wondering how they would work with Racecapture as thats the only reason I would swap out the stock radio. Thanks!

rigamaroo

Post by rigamaroo »

I've been looking at these two units:

https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/uni ... dio-b.html

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 8417116911

I'm leaning more toward the Joying just based on hardware specs and the price being a little lower. My goal is to have good app integration and hopefully a decent radio. The sound quality and radio type features are secondary to the app performance for me. Joying has a 2 year warrany period, although idk how that would apply if I tried to return it because the RCP app doesnt work wrll with it. Does anyone else have other recommendations? I looked at putting together a custom carputer with a double din display but that was getting expensive.

rigamaroo

Post by rigamaroo »

I think a perfect scenario would be using my laptop to run Android and the sending the video output to the headunit. Then i would have the captured data already on the laptop for analysis later. When Im not on the track I could leave the computer at home but still have the radio. The issue would be finding a head unit which could both receive video and send the touch screen information back to the laptop.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Android head units are pretty cool. What you need to do is ensure that the bluetooth implementation is solid; Not all android devices implement this well and we've seen stability issues with off brand devices.

The second consideration is overall performance. Look for a high quality quad core 1.6GHz unit.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter