Setting up OBD-II channels

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

fmbo

Setting up OBD-II channels

Post by fmbo »

Hi guys,

I'm sure that this is something obvious, but it seems that I miss it :( Basically, could you please let me know, how can I know, which channels are availiable via standart OBDII and which names should I use for them? I've connected the OBDII cable and tried to adding the most obvious one, RPM - it worked. But if I for example want to get MAP or throttle position, how do I need to name these channels for they log the correct data via OBD?

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Are you asking for standard OBD parameters or custom PID mapping?
Can't comment on custom mapping but here are the regular steps:
Normally you just go into "Setup" --> "OBD-II" and choose parameters as you like... Pick one parameter, set the logging rate, add another parameter by clicking the (+) symbol and so on.

After writing the config you can go to the dashboard mode and when you look at the overview page, where all parameters are listed, you will see the names of your former choosen parameters. Any working parameter will show a sensible number, non supported parameters will show zeros all the time. Other than that I don't know a better way how to find out which params are supported by your car and which aren't.

fmbo

Post by fmbo »

MikeD wrote:Are you asking for standard OBD parameters or custom PID mapping?
Can't comment on custom mapping but here are the regular steps:
Normally you just go into "Setup" --> "OBD-II" and choose parameters as you like... Pick one parameter, set the logging rate, add another parameter by clicking the (+) symbol and so on.
Thank you! But the main question here is, what is actually meant under choose

Because I see this screen in the following way (screenshots attached) which rather lets you to set up the channels rather than choose.
Attachments
Main screen
Main screen
main.png (81.28 KiB) Viewed 9436 times
Channel set up screen
Channel set up screen
channel.png (104.92 KiB) Viewed 9437 times

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Ah, ok... Click on the word "Unknown" instead of clicking the "settings" and a drop down menu will pop up where you can choose...
Attachments
Screenshot_20160828-000850.png
Screenshot_20160828-000850.png (87.52 KiB) Viewed 9432 times

fmbo

Post by fmbo »

Awesome, thanks :o
I guess there is a reason to highlight this point in wiki ;)

Shubham95

Engine diagnostic obd pid

Post by Shubham95 »

How can I get the engine diagnostic error code i.e. pid code for engine diagnostics.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We don't have support for engine diagnostic codes, yet. Watch for it in a future release!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter