Android WiFi connection not stable

Q&A for the RaceCapture Plug & Play - general hardware related usage and operation; for app related questions please post in the RaceCapture app section.

also see the <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Quickstart">RaceCapture quick start guide</a>
Def

Post by Def »

brentp wrote:Also, note that the RaceCapture ships with the AccessPoint enabled, with no password set. It sets up an open network that you should be able to connect to right away.
Looks like it was the 8 character PW limitation. I thought I put 8 in, but only 7. I guess that's what I get for trying to do this stuff tired and at the track in between sessions.

Maybe put that note in the app itself, and mention changes won't incorporate with a PW of <8 char.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it. We should've added it to the 1.8.0 app to avoid this type of frustration. We have it scheduled for 1.8.1:

https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... ssues/1305

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Rich256

Post by Rich256 »

Brent,

I need help! I have a 2013 Mazda 3 and I am experiencing problems trying to connect over wi-fi from a Galaxy Tab A, model ST-T350, running Android 6.0.1

I first experienced the unstable wi-fi connection and updated to the "2.10.1-dirty" firmware from a PC over USB. The app now displays the following sequence of messages at the top of

the screen.

"searching COM3"
"Reading Configuration"
"RaceCapture 2.10.1-dirty"

That was looking good so I saved the config file on my PC with these settings so I could use this file on my tablet. I moved the config file to my tablet and saved it to the "Downloads" directory on the tablet with these settings.

Access Point Mode = "ON"
SSID = "RaceCapture 35239383620"
Password = [empty]
Channel = "11"
Encryption = "None"

ODBII Channels = "OFF"

Back in the car with the RaceCapture plugged into the ODBII port, the LED blinks green about once every 4 seconds for about 30 seconds and then starts blinking green once every second. At this point, in the tablet wif-fi settings, I see "RaceCapture 35239383620" and I can connect and it is stable.

When I run the RC app from the tablet, it displayed the message "Connecting..." at the top of the screen.

Stepping thru the config wizard running on the tablet, I get as far as the "Device => Setup your connection" step. The UI displays a "Waiting for connecti..." message with a spinner, but it never connects. I waited several minutes just to be sure.

I clicked on the "Skip" button and then went to the Settings menu. Looking at the "Wireless" and ODBII settings I see the following:

Access Point Mode = "OFF"
SSID = [empty]
Password = [empty]
Channel = "1"
Encryption = "None"

ODBII Channels = "OFF"

Now when I "Open" the config file that I created on the PC, the Wireless and ODBII settings now show the settings saved from the PC over USB:

Access Point Mode = "ON"
SSID = "RaceCapture 35239383620"
Password = [empty]
Channel = "11"
Encryption = "None"

ODBII Channels = "OFF"

From the tablet over wi-fi, I tried Saving and Reading the config files.

On "Save" I get this message:
"Could not write configuration: caused by Port Closed"

On "Read" I get this message:
"Error reading configuration"

When to check on the status, I Click on the "Hamburger Icon" => "System Staus"
The Application menu is the only menu item displayed. No other status menu items are displayed.

Everything seems to work from the PC over USB, but in the car with the tablet connected to wi-fi and plugged into ODBII, the "Connecting..." message is always displayed and never goes away, the LED is always blinking green about once a second, no other colors are displayed. Is there something that I am not doing correctly?

Thanks...
Attachments
Tablet Wi-Fi
Tablet Wi-Fi
ScreenShot_001_WiFiConn.PNG (11.2 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
RaceCapture Wizard on tablet
RaceCapture Wizard on tablet
ScreenShot_002_WizWelcome.PNG (65.86 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
RaceCapture Wizard Wi-Fi Connecting
RaceCapture Wizard Wi-Fi Connecting
ScreenShot_003_WizDevice.PNG (55.62 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
Rich

Rich256

RaceCapture app from tablet does not connect

Post by Rich256 »

Only three images per post allowed. Here are the others to show what I am experiencing.

Thanks,
Attachments
ODBII status after loading config file
ODBII status after loading config file
ScreenShot_006_ODBIIAfterLoadConfig.PNG (16.53 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Wireless status after loading config file
Wireless status after loading config file
ScreenShot_005_WirelessAfterLoadConfig.PNG (28.13 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Wireless status after long wait on Wizard Wi-Fi connection, clicking on SKIP to exit wizard
Wireless status after long wait on Wizard Wi-Fi connection, clicking on SKIP to exit wizard
ScreenShot_004_WirelessOnAppStartup.PNG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Rich

Rich256

Post by Rich256 »

Post number 3.

Only three images per post allowed. Here are the others to show what I am experiencing. Last of images

Thanks,
Attachments
RaceCapture System status from tablet over Wi-Fi
RaceCapture System status from tablet over Wi-Fi
ScreenShot_009_SystemStatus.PNG (13.47 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
Error trying to READ config file on tablet
Error trying to READ config file on tablet
ScreenShot_008_OnReadConfig.PNG (16.77 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
Error trying to SAVE config file on tablet
Error trying to SAVE config file on tablet
ScreenShot_007_OnSaveConfig.PNG (18.5 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the details. As you can see, the android device is not connecting (yet). Once it does connect, the current RaceCapture configuration is automatically read from the device and is shown in the setup view.

If you can't connect, whatever you see in the setup view, including config files you load, does not reflect the actual settings on RaceCapture. This is very important to understand.

What we should first do is establish your android device is truly connected to the WiFi network of RaceCapture.

Here are some suggested steps to try:

* Put RaceCapture on your workbench and connect using your laptop with USB.

* Enable the RaceCapture WiFi Access Point, and either set no password, or set a password that's at least 8 characters. (e.g. 12345678)

* On your laptop, *write* the config back to RaceCapture. You can read the config back to ensure the settings stuck.

* On your laptop, you can then check the system status via main menu. and observe that the AccessPoint is enabled

* Now check if you see a green blinking light *and* a blue blinking light. Green = GPS; Blue = WiFi activity

* Now, on your laptop, check the application log to verify that the WiFi adapter is being initialized. Go to Setup, Logging, and click the check box to 'poll logfile'. This will read log messages from RaceCapture. You can paste the log messages here as a reply.

* If you've gotten this far, switch to your android device. Go into Android settings and turn off WiFi, then turn it back on again. This will cycle WiFi at the Android level and ensure it is properly enabled.

* Try to connect to the RaceCapture network on your Android device.

* Once connected, try running the RaceCapture app. You can do this while still connected over USB on your desktop.

Thanks. Let us know what you find out. The important part is the blue blink, as that is sending out a 'beacon' for the Android app to find RaceCapture. The output of the log will be helpful to see as well.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Rich256

RaceCapture always displays connecting...

Post by Rich256 »

Brent,

Thanks for the quick reply, I when thru the step that you out lined but when I got to the steps below, I did not see the LED blinking green, then blue. It always blinked green.

I unplugged the RC from the USB, plugged it back in and then it started blinking blue and green. When I connected from the tablet over wi-fi I was able to complete all steps of the setup wizard. Everything seemed to work after this. I spent sometime trying to recreate what I was experiencing and that took sometime. I think I was able to recreate the conditions. I'll spend time tomorrow to see if I can replicate it.

Thanks...

* On your laptop, you can then check the system status via main menu. and observe that the AccessPoint is enabled

* Now check if you see a green blinking light *and* a blue blinking light. Green = GPS; Blue = WiFi activity
Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Rich. I think there might've been a glitch with the beacon the first time you tried it. I think there are some conditions where the beacon won't work, namely if the WiFi module thinks it doesn't have an active network running.

Try doing a number of disconnects, power cycles and re-connects to see if it remains stable.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Rich256

Post by Rich256 »

Brent,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and send anything that I may find.

Rich
Rich

cwilson

WIFI unstable

Post by cwilson »

This seems like the same problem I'm having with the WIFI and the OBD being unstable. The RC system usually says connecting. On one occasion it apparently did connect and I was receiving RPM data, but it was not real time, and seemed to post every few minutes.

I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ

I'm a little confused about the configuration feature and would like more detailed setup instructions?

Do you have a fix for the WIFI issue?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi cwilson,

There was a potential firmware fix posted earlier in this thread. Could you give that a try to see if that makes a difference for you?

We have a more comprehensive guide here on our wiki:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Quickstart

Let us know how the firmware update works.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

Ok, I think I found my issue. Under access point mode config, somehow my Channel was set to 255 and encryption was set to unknown. Those aren't even options so I completely missed it. It was stuck in a weird place where I could "connect" to the WiFi but I couldn't access the unit and settings weren't writing properly. Seems to be fixed now, I'll text to see if CAN works tomorrow.

Rich256

Post by Rich256 »

I found that my problem was self inflicted... Some where along the way I changed the Setup => Wireless => WiFi Module setting from ON to OFF

Once I got the setting changed, saved, and reloaded. The "WiFi Module" setting was ON the the System Status displayed all of the status menu items and the WiFi => Access Point = "Enabled"

Unfortunately the LED was still blinking only Green until I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable as Brent suggested. The LED started blinking Blue and a few seconds later Green then Blue!!! Now I have to try the RC in the car.

In testing I created a couple different config files and wanted to find out the difference between "Open" and "Save" and the "Read" and "Write" buttons.

"Save" appears to write the current settings in the RC App to a config file.
"Open" appears to open and read the file settings into the RC App and also apply the setting to the RC device.

"Write" appears to write the settings currently in the RC App to the RC device, but does not write back to the config file on the PC (or tablet). Clicking on "Save" is needed to save any changed settings to the config file on the PC (or tablet).

"Read" appears to read any setting in the RC device in to the RC App and updates the UI.

If anyone can confirm that this is how the buttons function, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rich
Attachments
Buttons.PNG
Buttons.PNG (5.15 KiB) Viewed 9353 times
Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

you have it almost correct. When you open a file, it only loads the configuration file into the app, but does not automatically write it to the device.

To recap: "Open / Save" buttons deal with configuration files, and "Read / Write" buttons deal with reading/writing configuration from the connected device. The icons next to the label are the hints as well.
Last edited by brentp on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Rich256

Read, Write, Open, Save

Post by Rich256 »

Brent,

Got it, now I understand...

Thanks for the quick reply and MOST EXCELLENT support!!
Rich
Rich