Android WiFi connection not stable

Q&A for the RaceCapture Plug & Play - general hardware related usage and operation; for app related questions please post in the RaceCapture app section.

also see the <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Quickstart">RaceCapture quick start guide</a>
Rich256

Post by Rich256 »

I plugged in the RC unit into the car and setup the DashBoard to display speed, RPM, and TPS. Went for a short drive and everything looked great. Now onto learning how to use some of the vast capabilities that the RaceCapture has to offer.

Brent, thanks all of your assistance...
Rich

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

Everything works ok when I'm plugged into usb on my PC, connects to the 1.8.0 app on PC and phone simultaneously. I close the PC app via the "EXIT" button then disconnect from the PC (it was providing power only at this point) and plugged the race capture into a wall adapter for usb power. The Wi-Fi Module remains enabled, but access point gets disabled. I can then only fix it by plugging back into the PC and I can then see that access point has turned itself off. Not that it matters, but CAN and OBDII are both turned off for all of this.

Here is my log when connected to the PC and Phone.
WiFi Enabled, Client Disabled, Access Point enabled with Channel 11, WPA Encryption and 14 character password
Attachments
Untitled.jpg (131.9 KiB) Viewed 9160 times

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

Here everything is enabled and working fine connected to the PC, and then directly after a power cycle the access point gets disabled. Screen shots of both below. Running 2.10.1 dirty
Attachments
Enabled.jpg
Enabled.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
Disabled2.jpg
Disabled2.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 9158 times
Disabled.jpg
Disabled.jpg (99.72 KiB) Viewed 9157 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

So far I cannot reproduce this problem.

Can you try:

* Enabling Access point
* Press write button to write configuration back to RC
* Press read button to read configuration back to RC
* Observe if Access point enabled

If you got that far:

* unplug / replug RC (ensuring it powers down, e.g. not connected via OBDII)
* plug back in
* read configuration again
* Observe if Access Point is enabled

If you see any problems with these steps, try attaching your current configuration here - it might help reproducing.
Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

brentp wrote:Hi,

So far I cannot reproduce this problem.

Can you try:

* Enabling Access point
* Press write button to write configuration back to RC
* Press read button to read configuration back to RC
* Observe if Access point enabled

Thanks!
Hey Brent,

Yep that's where it's getting stuck,
Access Point enabled while connected to PC (wireless actually turns on and I can connect a tablet)
Press Write - still good
Press read - access point turns off

What do you recommend?

Firmware 2.10.2

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

When configuring your access point, make sure your access point password is at minimum of 8 characters. the 1.9.0 app enforces this, not sure if you're on the latest.

Try checking that and let us know. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

brentp wrote:When configuring your access point, make sure your access point password is at minimum of 8 characters. the 1.9.0 app enforces this, not sure if you're on the latest.

Try checking that and let us know. Thanks!
Yes, I'm at 12 characters. Running the latest app as well

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Gotcha. Ok - let's try this:

after enabling WiFi at the top level, and then setting the access point, password, and encryption settings, try writing, then power cycling.

After power cycling, go to the Log window in setup and click 'poll log' and copy the output from from the log and past it here.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

Done.

This log is after the first round of Enable Access Point and Write. (no power cycle yet)
Attachments
before power cycle
before power cycle
before power cycle.JPG (115.27 KiB) Viewed 9107 times

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

Well, now just as before when I had that odd issue with the Encryption being a non-existent selection; now I deleted the text in the Client Mode fields and now with power cycles my Access Point Mode stays enabled. I even had it out to the car and it connects via OBD/CAN power. Hooray!

Now, if I could only get some CAN/OBD channels to work. i.e. RPM is giving a failure channel 12 log entry when polled.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Weird, there might've been a setting that RC wasn't liking. Glad it's working now!

Do you have a separate thread on the OBDII issue?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

No, but I can make one. I was reading here about the Haltech connection issue and thought it might be related?
viewtopic.php?t=5167

slammed200

Post by slammed200 »

What Windows app do you recommend to do a reset?

"* Factory reset

You can issue a factory reset by connecting to RaceCapture using a serial terminal app over USB (not using the RaceCapture app).

Connect to RaceCapture using the COM port assigned by windows. Once you connect, hit <enter> and you'll see a menu of options.

Issue the commend 'resetConfig' and hit enter.

This will reset the configuration to the factory default. "

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Not sure on your question - do you also have a Haltech? If unsure, I'd just start a new thread in the in the appropriate part of the forum.

A common serial terminal can be used to get at the text console for RaceCapture - HyperTerminal or RealTerm should work for you.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter