finally got a TACH signal... but..

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

bahnstormer

finally got a TACH signal... but..

Post by bahnstormer »

Hi, first time posting yet I have done lots of research. My problem is my tachometer is off. I tried multiple points to get a good signal and none worked. I finally just came off one of my individual coil packs and am receiving a read out. I have the coilx installed to protect the RCPro2 from damage. I am comparing the RCP2 tach speed to my cars tach and they do not match. The RCP2 is about half what the engine is actually turning. I have messed with the pulse per revolution, speed and sample rate. The read out is just very low. Im working on an e36 obd1 car with an m52. Ideas?

I did get some other real time data to show up on podium.live and that was certainly encouraging! Just have to do the tedious work of scaling the analog inputs... :(

Thank you,

Johnathan

LDForget

Re: finally got a TACH signal... but..

Post by LDForget »

bahnstormer wrote:Hi, first time posting yet I have done lots of research. My problem is my tachometer is off. I tried multiple points to get a good signal and none worked. I finally just came off one of my individual coil packs and am receiving a read out. I have the coilx installed to protect the RCPro2 from damage. I am comparing the RCP2 tach speed to my cars tach and they do not match. The RCP2 is about half what the engine is actually turning. I have messed with the pulse per revolution, speed and sample rate. The read out is just very low. Im working on an e36 obd1 car with an m52. Ideas?

I did get some other real time data to show up on podium.live and that was certainly encouraging! Just have to do the tedious work of scaling the analog inputs... :(

Thank you,

Johnathan

I just setup my RCP tonight, and im running into the same issue. I had to set it to 2 cyl for my 4 cyl to read properly. not sure if i did something wrong or not. I have a EG civic with a b20vtec
Junction Auto Sport
ChumpCar Canada

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

thanks for the reply, ill give that a shot!

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

how did you do that? with the drop down menu that goes upto 30-50 (don't recall)

thank you.

LDForget

Post by LDForget »

bahnstormer wrote:how did you do that? with the drop down menu that goes upto 30-50 (don't recall)

thank you.
Go to the Pulse/RPM tab, then click on "Pulse per revolution" and i had to select 2, even though its a 4 cylinder. not sure why, but it worked!
Attachments
rpm.png
rpm.png (52.87 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
Junction Auto Sport
ChumpCar Canada

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

interesting, my understanding that number was pulses per revolution. not the number of cylinders. I played with quite a few of those settings. I will check 6 again (bmw e30 with m52) and try again. thank you for the speedy replies.

johnathan

LDForget

Post by LDForget »

bahnstormer wrote:interesting, my understanding that number was pulses per revolution. not the number of cylinders. I played with quite a few of those settings. I will check 6 again (bmw e30 with m52) and try again. thank you for the speedy replies.

johnathan

Generally, as far as i know, theres 1 pulse per revolution, but i could be wrong. Like i said, chosing 2 worked for me on the honda.
Junction Auto Sport
ChumpCar Canada

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It all depends on the number of ignition pulses per revolution of the engine; ignition systems behave differently based on distributor based ignition, individual coil packs or wasted spark. Usually trial / error solves it!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

if I put it on 1 it shows 660 at idle, the engine idles at 1300. At the limiter 6500 it shows 2700rom. Everytime I go up it splits the number in half.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Looks like we need a "0.5" option for the divider. We'll file an issue to track this.

*edit*
tracking here: https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... issues/898
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

Brent,
I really need an update for this. We have used the car multiple times without a tachometer. We purchased the system to do away with the gauges and run everything off the tablet. I do not want to have to abort.

Anything new?

Thank you.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for pinging back. We're scheduling it for the next update, which should be available for beta testing soon (1-2 weeks).

Watch for our blog and facebook updates for news when this is announced.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

will the new update include the fix for the tachometer?

thank you,

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I believe so. We'll be adding the 0.5 pulse per revolution divider, which should address the 2x RPM that you're seeing.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

you should do .25 and .125 also just to cover all basis?