Extended Lua Scripting BMW E46 - channels not showing

Discussion on the Lua Scripting capabilities for RaceCapture/Pro. Also see the <a href="http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro_Lua_Scripting">Lua Scripting Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

TeamLemon-aid

Extended Lua Scripting BMW E46 - channels not showing

Post by TeamLemon-aid »

I have a BMW E30 with a transplanted M54B30. I have the Race Capture Pro version 1. I have the cable from AutoSport Labs for the Can Bus data attached properly. I have power to the Race Capture pro going in separate.

The unit seems to function normally and transmits all standard data to the Race Capture Pro App on my Amazon Kindale HD8 without an issue.

I have downloaded the extended Lua scripting for the BMW E46.

I have used the Kindle via Bluetooth to write the script to the RCP device. (Seems to write as all the status indicators seem fine)

Unfortunately after writing the script, and even powering off both the RCP unit and the app, the extended channels never show up on the app. I don't see RPM, oil temp, etc.

Is this an issue with the app? Should I be using a laptop? Is there something else I'm not doing correctly?

I have searched and cannot find the answer.

Thanks, Chris
Changing Kids Lives, One Lap at a Time

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you're running the RaceCapture/Pro MK1 (with large SD card and silver label) then unfortunately it does not have internal CAN bus connectivity.

RaceCapture/Pro MK2 was introduced with 2 internal CAN channels.

There was an experimental external adapter that adds one CAN channel to MK1 - it can be built as a DIY project if you have the proper soldering skills / equipment. The schematics and CAD files are here: https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

Hope that helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

TeamLemon-aid

Post by TeamLemon-aid »

Well.... that's unfortunate. Thanks for replying. I will try to pull the RPM from the OBD2 line that we normally ran to our tach. The rest of the CAN Bus info wasn't really that important as this "hybrid" is not an E46. Just powered that way. So wheel speed and many other sensors don't exist anyway. Thanks.

If the lap data is accurate and is transmitted seamlessly in car for driver feedback during our race at Barber we'll be happy.
Changing Kids Lives, One Lap at a Time

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Providing RCP detects the track (it should show in the app's top bar) you'll get lap times!

Good luck. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter