New Laptop-Timeout Error

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

manx3094

New Laptop-Timeout Error

Post by manx3094 »

I recently needed to upgrade my laptop. The old one was running windows 7 and communicated fine thru a USB to serial adapter to my MegaJolt.
My new windows 8 laptop will not communicate with the Mega Jolt.
I have confirmed that the new laptop is "seeing" the adapter and I have set the Mega Jolt software to the same com port setting, however I keep getting the "Timeout reading cylinder count" error.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Typically this is a USB to serial adapter compatibility issue. The software should work fine on Windows 8.1; this is what we're using in the shop. I would try a different adapter - ideally a more name-brand adapter from Belkin, Trend-Net or similar.

Unfortunately we ran into a similar problem; a USB adapter that worked fine on Vista stopped working on Windows 8.1. Once we switched to a well supported adapter, things started working again.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ian2000t

Post by ian2000t »

I have the same issues as this. Worked fine with Windows 7, although that was several years ago.

Now, the same lead, MJ unit (although, tried 2 different ones) refuses to connect, even though Com Port is functioning correctly supposedly.

Can you link an adapter known to work on Windows 8?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The one we sell here is known to work well - https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/c ... l-adapter/

But most high quality adapters should work well.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter